1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trebble is not the best on the JBL system...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by yarzy, Sep 13, 2006.

1. yarzy

yarzy New Member

Has anyone else thought that the bass is excellent on the JBL system but the treb is not bright at all. I wish there was a easier (and cheaper) way to get more treb without replacing the speakers...

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, most people seem to think the low end is the worst on the JBL (check the cound levels, they may be skewed towards low end and away from high). Thats why you see soo many posts about people adding subs or wanting to.

IMO, the whole thing is sub-par, and not worth the added cost they charged for it. I added a sub already, and i'll probably get around to replacing the surounds and tweeters next spring/summer.

3. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Sep 13 2006, 06:24 AM) [snapback]318875[/snapback]</div>
    Have you disconnected the center speaker? After that, I found the midrange the real problem.

Try this: Dial back the midrange a couple notches and set the fader to favor the rear by one notch. This should allow you to crank up the treble a little higher with less distortion.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    IMHO, the JBL speakers suck equally badly across their entire limited frequency spectrum. The bass has volume but no quality.

For an inexpensive replacement ($120 w/shipping on Fleabay) the Infinity 6010cs component speaker has a silk dome tweeter that sounds quite decent (very smooth and non-fatiguing) in the sail panels of the Prius.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    ok,, so maybe you guys can help me..... i would like to replace the speakers that came with the JBLsystem in my 2006, but i've never done anything like that before so the new ones will have to be as close to plug & play as i can get.

so my question is, what speakers would you all recommend for this type situation, really really good ones, the 6 in. speakers as well as the tweeters.

2nd question : will adding sound dampening material make that much difference, and how difficult is that to apply?

thanks all, i'm just really not very happy with the JBL system, especially the rear speakers which really suck.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Many people on here have gone with the infinities (i haven't done these yet, so i can't speak towards ease of use). However, most speakers are fairly simple plug and play, and i'd say if youre at all technically minded you can do it.

Sound dampening material will usually make a difference. i'm not sure how big a difference that is in the Prius. It is usually fairly expensive to buy, and can be difficult to put on. Usually it's rather sticky, so you have to be careful to keep it from folding, and getting air bubbles out can be a real pain.

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Rangerdavid,

The speakers are replaceable yourself, but it requires a bit of effort since you just can't take apart the doors and drop in replacement speakers. Have a look at Sparky's Speaker Replacement Guide to get you started. The first time you have to pull apart stuff is where it takes the longest. Having pulled apart the dash umpteen times already, i can have the doors and the dash ripped apart in less than 60 seconds.

I recommend sound deadening your car. It makes quite a difference in keeping most of the sound in the car, and will tighen up the music. I used B-quiet which was about $100 for 50 sqft; enough to fully cover the front doors, the spare tire well. I should have enough left over for the back doors. It's not too hard to install. It's just tedious. Cut strips and stick it on/in the door. Keep going till the door is completely covered (i did inside and out).