1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trendy Japanese Flock to Hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SHOPPERS who stop into Toyota dealerships here and across Japan generally have just one thing on their minds: buying a Prius.

After years of indifference toward hybrids — in part because many gas-only models that got excellent mileage were already available in showrooms — drivers in Japan are lining up for the Prius, the Honda Insight and other models powered by gasoline and electricity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/automobiles/02hybrid.html

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Holy crap. His summer house must be straight up the side of a mountain if he uses a quarter of a tank to go 75 miles. :eek:

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As I suspected: the Japanese version of the Prius has a 5 gallon tank.

(just kidding)

4. Tamyu

Tamyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It`s pretty possible. Remember, Japan is mostly mountains. And usually, distances are measured in a straight line, not the length of actual road travel... When you`re going over mountains, it is anything but straight.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's the part of the NY Times article that caught my eye:

" ... Nissan and Mitsubishi have also announced plans to leapfrog hybrids with new electric vehicles. ..."

I believe it was GM's posturing/threats to build hybrids, in the first place, that originally caused Toyota to panic ... and not want to be left behind in the hybrid game, that caused them to hurry the Prius to original production.

Wouldn't it be great if Nissan & Mitsubishi's saber rattling had the same effect? And who knows ... maybe it already has.

;)

6. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's cool, and here recently I've wondered a lot if even here in the states we might find ourselves in a world where there are a lot MORE small cars running around. Not that we'll stop seeing gargantuan SUV's and pickups any time soon but that with new models coming out and/or coming over here... how might it be to see cars like the Yaris, Mini, Smart or really any car that seems smaller than most to a lot of people in the new world as it could potentially be, knowing that these cars were smart from the get-go?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    if you want to know how that looks like, visit the south coast of B.C.