1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Treo 650 smart phone w/bluetooth 'official announcement'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aarons12, Oct 18, 2004.

1. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    [rant] Verizon will either refuse to carry it or will cripple it like the V710 [/rant]

There, now I feel better...

3. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Man, I wish the Treo 600 had bluetooth support 'cause I don't really need a new phone/toy (and a fairly expensive one at that... okay, not as expensive as the Prius...)

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So there's still question as to whether this will include an upgraded 1.2 MP camera? The interview only mentions a 2x digital zoom.

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

there are lots of questions like that... treocentral has folks cursing each other out over the details. it's crazy.

lucky for me, i never upgraded to the treo600, still using my 300, well over 2 years now. i'm ready for the upgrade, especially with the prius and bluetooth.

6. Quickster

Quickster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The new Treo 650 has a 1.3mp camera in it as well as a replaceable battery, hires (320x320) screen and lots of internal cleanup of the software. From my having used one for a few days it is really a nice improvement and great addition to the Palm line.

I have been a developer for Palm since 1996 and do lots of applications for friends and companies, besides holding down my daytime job with Lockheed Martin.

Quicks's PDA Software
    www.thequickster.com

All my software is freeware, with donations accepted. My Treo apps are on several of the Treo boards.

Let me know if you are looking for Palm software.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey quickster, can you get discounted Treo 650's? I need two of them. I'd be happy to send you a super duper Ultimate BlueTooth and Navigation overide module once they are done being developed. Also, perhaps I could pass along significant savings on an XM radio kit?

It would really be great if we could arrange a group buy on Treo 650's here at PriusChat.com.

Nate

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Treocentral.com now posting the following links:

Raw Specs - You can click on both Specifications and Description

Photo

Fact Sheet

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This begs the question of whether you've had the opportunity to pair it with your Prius (assuming you have your car already)!

10. Quickster

Quickster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have had my car for several weeks but then about two weeks after I picked up my car I had to go on travel in the Washington D.C. area and have not had the chance to drive it lately. And my wife has her 2000 Turbo bug I modified so she does not drive MY car.

I only had the Treo 650 for two days and the three of us, me and Super White and the Treo650, were not all together at one time so I did not get to do a pairing to see if it would work. It has been my experience using Palm Bluetooth that their stuff is incredibly easy to setup and I feel it will work. (he says with fingers, toes, and legs crossed :)

As a developer I am entitled to purchase one of each type of device for a small discount. Big advantage is getting them a little early. I will contact my imbedded mole friend at Palm and see if there is a chance of making a group purchase. One problem would be mixing the differenct carriers because they each have their own peculiarities about branding and making small modifications to the Palm OS. I have always used unbranded GSM type phones myself. My carrier right now is T-Mobile and they have been great.

Anyway, we shall see what develops.

11. jmdor

jmdor New Member

A group purchase would be great -- I'd need the CDMA version (with Sprint). If that's possible, I'm all in!

Jeanne

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd be in for the Sprint version as well.

I still see in the specs it being a "VGA" camera. This to me would mean no 1.3 MP. And that kills the point of having any camera at all.

13. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i'm gonna wait a little while and see... wish there were more choices. i just might stick with my treo300 a while longer, and hope something without as many compromises comes out

14. pshady

pshady New Member

Count me in for a Sprint version. Also, if you can confirm that the Prius / Treo 650 pairing does indeed work 100%, that would be great. I know some phone are less compatible than others.

15. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A group buy or discount would be great. We need to replace a Treo 300 and would love to get one (or maybe two) Sprint 650s. If anyone gets a chance to pair a 650 with their Prius, please let us know the details.

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From MSNBC:

"The 650 is 4.4 by 2.3 by 0.9 inches and weighs 6.3 ounces. It sports 23 MB of user available memory and has a SD/SDIO/MMC card slot for expansion. The screen is 320 by 320 pixels with 16-bit color. The built-in camera is 640 by 480 (0.3 megapixels) with a 2X zoom and it also now captures video."

Not sure if it's worth getting without an improved camera. Once they come out with one that doesn't have the stupid camera in it I might be more interested. I guess it all depends on the price, too, though.

17. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i don't have a camera now so anything will be a 'bonus' and none of them will replace my nikon or my canon in any event.

i want to let some of the folks at treocentral run it through its paces first, which i guess will happen in a few weeks.

18. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have the moto v710, which came with a 1.2 mega camera, and it's pretty lousy. So I didn't have high expectations for any camera phone after that experience.

Since I was a happy Kyo 7135 owner until my Prius came along, I'm really looking forward to going back to one converged PDA-phone that also works with the car's bluetooth. Obviously I should have skipped the v710 and waited for the treo - oh well.

I'll be getting the treo at the earliest possible opportunity, and so I'll report back as soon as I've paired it with the Prius & found out what the quirks are. At CTIA, yesterday, the demo'd the treo 650 paired with an Audi, so I suspect things will look good in the Prius. They mention that the treo can be used hands free with the Audi and can "control certain features of the car" which I take to mean the phonebook.

The Audi website info on the bluetooth in the car says: "... In addition, Bluetooth can make certain features, such as cell phone book access and caller ID" and their list of compatible phones is similar to ours.

I'll post when I have it so you can send any questions specific to treo & prius my way ... I can hardly wait ...

19. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Digital zoom is (expletive deleted), all it does is copy the nearby pixel causing decreased image quality. And what is the focal length of the camera? Most point and shoot cameras are 35mm, ie. wide angle. 2x that is basically what you are seeing with your eyes. Don't buy a phone or PDA with a camera thinking it will be be anything other than a novelty.

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks like it will only be available for Sprint users until sometime in 2005.

Sprint's CDMA version does not allow for the phone to be used as a wireless modem, which is a load of crap. Fortunately a version minus the camera will be available sometime soon for Sprint business customers.

Once someone hacks it to allow it to be paired as a wireless modem, and they have a version without their POS battery hogging camera, then I'll pick one up.

Of course, I say this now but will probably have one in my hands by the end of November :)