1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Treo 700p and Prius bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by fpowledge, Mar 20, 2007.

1. fpowledge

fpowledge New Member

I have a 2006 Prius and a LG VZ8100 cellphone. The phone is *not* on Toyota's list of phones that work with the Prius's Bluetooth setup, but it does--and quite well. The hands-free setup is the only way I'll use a cell phone while driving, for safety reasons. I realize this makes me a member of the tiny minority, since most drivers I see on the road are yakking on their phones, drinking expensive coffee, eating, reading, cleaning their noses, and driving all at the same time.

Because my Palm PDA is on its deathbed, I'm thinking of moving to a smart phone, and the one I prefer is the Treo 700p. (I am not interested in a Windows mobile phone, and the carrier has to be Verizon, which I don't like but which enjoys near-monopoly status where I live.) I tested a store-model Treo 700p with my Prius and got no Bluetooth connection. Nor does the Toyota Web site say the Treo is compatible.

Do any frequenters of this site have experience with getting a Treo to work with the Prius Bluetooth setup? Thanks.

--Fred Powledge

2. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've gotten two Treo 650s to work. A little buggy, but generally pretty good.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mudshow @ Mar 20 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]408994[/snapback]</div>
    i have a treo 700P (moved from the Treo 650P) - no problem at all syncing with car. i happen to love verizon and have been with them since 1989. bought it, synched it and it connected instantly.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]409021[/snapback]</div>
    You say you synch'd your Verizon phone ... but never mentioned whether that includes pushing your phone list into the car's memory. Hmmm? I say that because Verizon (as other posters mention) is notorious for NOT being OPP friendly.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Mar 20 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]409023[/snapback]</div>
    i did not push my contact list or phone book into the cars memory. i use the speed dial on my phone if i need to call or you can voice activate it for that are advanced in those things - but most of all i just answer the phone when it rings - i love driving in part because i am all alone and the world is outside and i am not :)

i meant by synhing my phone is that is connected to my prius's bluetooth connection instantly and has worked flawlessly ever since - probably 3 or so months into the flight of my 700P.

waiting anxiously for my slingbox with the palm OS to come out :rolleyes:

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will work, but the Treo 700p model is buggy. A new one would fare much better, but every few weeks or months you may have to reset the Treo to keep a connection.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]409021[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting, since Verizon did not come into being until Bell Atlantic bought General Telephone in 2000 to form Verizon Communications. Previously, NYNEX bought Bell Atlantic in 1997 and adopted the Bell Atlantic name.

8. fpowledge

fpowledge New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mudshow @ Mar 20 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]408994[/snapback]</div>
    I'm impressed by all the quick replies and expertise that resulted from my earlier post about the Treo 700p and Prius 2006. Perhaps you fine posters also have thoughts to share about the Treo 700p generally (Verizon version). I use a Tungsten T5, now in its final throes, I fear, and have about 20 MB of files on it that are very useful to me. Should I assume that the Treo 700w would offer similar usefulness? I'm not interested (at least at this point) in Internet surfing or any but rare e-mail on the new Palm, but would like to combine the convenience of the PDA and cellphone into one package. The Treo is said to come with PocketTunes for MP3 playback, which is a nice program, but I already own it and play my MP3, besides, on a separate MP3 player. So what I really want is a Palm-cellphone combination that does basic Palm stuff. One option I really find useful on my present cellphone (LG VZ 8100) is an alarm, which is loud enough to challenge my deafness and is set to ring at a specific time every day. I assume the Treo depends on the Palm OS built-in alarm system, which is not all that useful to me.

Thanks again.

--Fred Powledge

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Mar 20 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]409106[/snapback]</div>
    True, i have been taken for a "ride" since getting my first cell phone (the battery box with shoulder harness) in 1989. bell atlantic and such. same phone number since day 1. love verizon wireless.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]409114[/snapback]</div>
    Well, Verizon Wireless, to be distinguished from Verizon Communications, was formed in 1999 when Bell Atlantic and Vodafone's AirTouch agreed to merge their wireless operations in the United States, Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular and PrimeCo Communications.

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mudshow @ Mar 20 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]409107[/snapback]</div>
    Stick with the P version. You know how to use it and it's more slight reliable overall. But if you do want a change and decide to go windows, DON'T get the W. Get the WX which has double the RAM and works so very much better. Sprint passed on the W and went with the WX, and Verizon is finally following suit.

Remember, you can get 1000's of free software titles for the Palm including a volume booster and a alarm clock.

12. Capemayal

Capemayal Junior Member

I have both a Treo 700p and a 700w. Not a problem with either one.

I do have the 700p for sale - in the original box, books, CD, etc.

If you're interested, let me know. Just PM me or email [email protected]

I need to stick with Windows because of the office.

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeMayAl @ Mar 28 2007, 07:23 AM) [snapback]413486[/snapback]</div>

You should mention which carrier the phone is setup for.

14. crypter

crypter New Member

I have a 700p and have had it set up with my '07#4 since I bought it back in November. Overall it has worked pretty well with the basic bluetooth funcionality (making and recieving calls). I've only had to reset it twice since I bought the car. I haven't tried transferring my phonebook info to the car, though - just haven't felt it is necessary as of yet.

One thing regarding the 700p - the OS in this unit is rather buggy. I have resets every now and then...don't know why as I don't have much loaded on it. There is supposedly an update to the OS coming out from Palm within the next month or two, and this should include a patch to make the bluetooth functionality much more stable. I too have Verizon as my service provider - you should be able to bring your unit to any Verizon store and have the update installed once it comes out. Unfortunately I don't have a set date for the release, so you'll just have to stay in touch with your local store till it is available...

Hope this helps,
    cc B)

15. Fatherhen

Fatherhen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Mar 20 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]409071[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks so much for your comment! I have a Treo 700p and a 2006 Prius. The bluetooth connection was working. Then one day I turned off bluetooth in my Treo. When I turned it back on, I could not get a reliable connection. It would connect, sort of. When I dialed, I could not hear the ringing in the speakers. When the other person answered, they could hear me; but I could not hear them. I tried setting up the connection over and over again. Finally, I reset my Treo like you said and was able to get the Treo and Prius to work again.