1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Triangle is back

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Voltron66, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Voltron66

Voltron66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My 2002 Prius battery finally gave up after almost 17 years. The terminals were corroded and every call was leaking.
    A local company took the battery away and replaced every cell, so I have a good battery now.

However, I don't get very far before the Triangle comes back on. Eventually, the aircon recirculation light goes off and I can hear the rear battery cooling fan kick in. After that, it is not long before the engine revs fast and I lose power.

Switching the car off for a brief time seems to fix all issues, except the Triangle.

Could my computer be faulty? If so, how do I check and / or replace it?

2. Nelsonprius

Nelsonprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

#2 Nelsonprius, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  3. Nelsonprius

Nelsonprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If every cell was leaking, every cell may have overheated from a failed battery or invertor cooling system.
    A scan of the computer codes would have indicated that, did they not?
    A scan now of the problem will guide you to your next repairs

4. David Botan

David Botan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Still sounds like your "New" battery cells have some problems. Three years ago shortly after buying my 2002 prius had the main battery have some cells go out and it would always code. Got another Battery pack (cheaper, under partial warranty) and a month later sometimes the engine would not shut off (revving, like yours) and eventually the car would go into low power mode. It turns out ONE cell in the newer pack was weak causing an unbalanced battery code 3006. Got a mobile mechanic to come out and he replace the week cell with a couple good cells to balance out the battery. There was corrosion to, which he filed off. No problems for a month now. Check your HV battery sounds like you got another one with some bad cells. (Restarting the car usually fixed the problem temporarily for me to).