1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Triangle of death P3006 - how long can I drive it like this?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Kirsty Milward, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Kirsty Milward

Kirsty Milward New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I have a much loved 2002 Prius with 226k on the clock. It's on its original HV battery as far as I know (had it for 10 years) I've just started getting the scary triangle sign and having read these threads, think it's probably time to say a sad goodbye to this car.
    But the question is ... how long can I drive it with this problem? What is going to happen? I've driven it a bit locally, making sure I give it lots of time to do its charge up. I take it if the battery depletes altogether it will just stop and not go any further?

Another question, before I go for the funeral option, is there any relation between the auxilliary battery and the HV battery that could cause this? The light first came on after I had run the aux battery dead by leaving an inside light on.... repair person gave the aux battery enough charge to start it and said I should probably change it (probably 15 years old) but I didn't because the start has been no problem since then. Is it worth me changing the aux to see if the HV recovers?

Would love to hear anyone else's experience on how long it takes a dying battery to actually die (and what happens on the way).

#1 Kirsty Milward, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  2. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems to me that trying to charge or replace the 12v would be an easy and cheap option before you just scrap the whole car.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. I agree.
    Only partially charging the aux. battery was a mistake......since the car often won't completely charge a dead battery.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Quite a while actually. It will just keep getting worse until you decide you can’t live with it anymore

5. Priuslover09

Priuslover09 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You can drive on forever really if you just keep resting the codes

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you clarify about the trouble code(s)?

Your thread title says P3006, but I didn't see in your post about when/how that code was read, or any other freeze frame or live data readings taken at the same time.

P3006 by itself indicates that the 19 module pairs in the battery are not at an equal state of charge, and there's kind of a sliding scale of different ways to attack that problem. At one end is to keep resetting the codes and driving, though if pushed long enough, that can lead to loud noises and bad smells from the back of the car, followed by a reduction of mobility.

mroberds likes this.
  7. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Given the age, my guess would just be that the HV battery is certainly on its last legs. It's just the way it goes.

However, yes, aux battery problems can create all sorts of havoc. What I would do just because you've got nothing to lose by doing it is find a locally owned place that specializes in batteries and ask if they would charge & evaluate it - esp "load test" it. (This might end up being something you'd have to pay for, but it wouldn't be much). If the battery fails a load test, now you'd have a decision to make if you don't want to fix the HV battery because you'd have to cough up about $200 or a new aux battery (though someone else here might be able to suggest something smarter as a way of just finding out).

If it passes a load test and you know it's fully charged and you still get the P3006, then you can take it as likely that the HV battery is done. The problem with just driving it is that no one would be able to tell you how long you can do this before you're just limping along the shoulder, or stopped dead on it.

8. Nelsonprius

Nelsonprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If the HV battery has enough power to start the car it will keep driving as far as I know. Keeping the car running in park for at least 2 minutes after your drive will keep the HV battery charged enough to start it again, Turning it off as soon as you arrive will lower the chances of a restart.
    A cleaning of the HV connections might be all that is needed to rid the triangle

Priuslover09 likes this.