1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Triangle, !, Vsc, check engine all on. Running very well 98% of the time.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Glojazzbent, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Glojazzbent

Glojazzbent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok. So I just purchased my 06 Prius(270K) about a month ago and It's reading a bunch of codes. Please help!
    C0200, C0205- L & R Speed Sensor
    C1242- IG2 circuit open
    C1259- HV System Regenerative
    C1310- Malfunction in HV system
    P08A0- Hybrid Battery Pack Replace
    P3015- Battery Block 5 weak
    It does seem a bit sluggish at times. But overall runs perfect. I unhooked the batterythe first time to reset. It took 200 miles to come back. Sometimes I have to start and restart 5 times to get the display to come up. I took out the hybrid battery (currently still torn apart) and tested every cell at 8.03v. Itested the 12v battery at 12.78v at rest. I'm at a loss of where to go from here. I really feel like all these codes are related in some manner and it's evidently not the obvious. Please help!
    Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you can subscribe to tech info.toyota.com for $15./2 days to decipher the codes.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It shows block 5 is weak, counting from the opposite end of where the battery ecu and relays are located, it's the 5th pair that has issues.

If you let the battery sit a few days, you'll be able to see that blocks voltage will start dropping, separating from the rest of the pack. Start with fixing the battery first and then you can slowly address the other issues. There may be other weak modules in your battery pack

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Glojazzbent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok.. I will replace that one. Also figured I would clean the copper plates as upon research that has caused issues with other prius's.
    Thanks for your advice.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have the time, you should let the battery sit a few days and it'll help you catch other weaker modules.

To correctly rebuild your battery, you'll need to be able to recondition the modules to bring back the lost capacity. If you just replace the bad/weak modules now, you'll soon have to do this process all over again when the other modules fail.

Cleaning all the copper bus bars will also help the longevity of the repair

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Glojazzbent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So.. I took the hybrid battery out and let sit for a few days. All cells tested good (at around 8.6V). The block 5 that said it was weak was not in fact weak, it's still sitting in my garage -from 4 months ago- fully charged.
    The intermitten issue with the display has stopped and upon more research on here I've found is probably a compacitor on the combination meter in which I will worry about at a later date considering its currently working fine.
    I have taken out the L&R speed sensor cleaned them and put them back in, seems as though those codes haven't re-appeared.
    I am still having a power issue somewhere. I have checked the ground wire and the 12V battery connects. Both -12V and hybrid- battery check out perfect. The battery seems to charge ok but discharges very quickly at various times while driving. Codes thrown are C1242, C1241, P0420. I noticed a thread from a toyota tech saying if 1242 throws it's usually the inverter coolant pump. Mine still seems to be working ok, the reservoir is showing ripples. He says gas gauge sporatic, now mine runs out of gas with two pegs left and sometimes doesn't show much gas used on a 100 mile trip but when powered off and back on it will show correct. He also indicates no ready. Mine readys fine everytime, except in Jan. When I was experiencing issues starting up but chaulked that up to combination cluster issue because it stopped now. Maybe my inverter pump is slowly going bad? Its base is rusted and looks as though it is fairly old. I am looking into ordering a new one.
    Would it slowly going bad cause the battery to intermittently charge, all these codes (from the first post) to throw, and the acceleration to be almost non-existant at times? And would it get worse in higher temps when using the a/c?
    My fear is I dig into this repair, get excited through the process thinking it will fix my issue then it doesn't as I did with pulling the hybrid pack twice
    I'll tackle the P0420 code (o2, throttle body, or cat) after I figure out the bigger issue.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to load test the battery. the gas (guess) gauge is due to the rubber bladder inside.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The work up for these two codes is attached. If you can get the INF (Detail) codes from the FFD (freeze frame data), it will help pinpoint the area on which to focus.

C1241, C1242 DESCRIPTION

These codes are memorized when the power source voltage for the skid control ECU drops or the voltage for the ABS NO. 1, ABS NO. 2 relay operation drops.

Codes may be memorized when the voltage of the auxiliary battery temporarily drops.

When the power source voltage is too high, the skid control ECU stops functioning and outputs no DTCs, and the ABS and BRAKE warning light remain on.
    HINT:

DTC C1256/56 (accumulator low voltage malfunction) may be memorized if the power source voltage drops.

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.