1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Triangle, (!), VSC... help please!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lorkp, Jan 10, 2011.

1. lorkp

lorkp New Member

Today I got a new set of tires in size 195/65/15, and also took the car to the dealership to have the water pump recall , gas pedal recall , and an oil change done.

The car was perfectly normal driving home. Later on, the car was driven for about two hours on the highway when the car lostpower and the triangle, (!), and VSC lights came on. When trying to turn the car on again, only the red triangle shows.

The dealership will look at it tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what could have gone wrong...

Do you think it's possibly related to any of the work that was done on the car today, or pure coincidence?

Thanks so much!

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Absolutely, somebody caused a problem with your car. My guess is that they did not properly bleed air out of the inverter cooling system. IC pump shutdown + weak 12V battery could explain what happened. Also, pull your engine oil dipstick as well and see if it is either overfull or empty (!!!). If they come back saying that you need to pay for replacement computers, transaxle, etc., be very skeptical.

3. lorkp

lorkp New Member

So it turns out it was the water pump. This idiot of a dealer, that originally installed the new pump it turns out, had not finished installing the new part! The dealer that just fixed it said they found vise grips still ON A HOSE connecting to the pump.

WARNING TO CHICAGOLAND AREA PEOPLE: DO NOT GO TO MID-TOWN TOYOTA

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to hear that your problem was resolved...I would say that you win the prize for the worst dealer Prius service story...:eek:

Did you get to take the vise grips home? Might come in handy for a future home repair project...:D

Note that it took your car two hours for warning lights to come on, which shows that not much inverter cooling is needed during wintertime.

5. lorkp

lorkp New Member

When we picked up the car they gave us the broken pump and the vise grips. I noticed the metal frame that the pump sits on was corroded and dirty, leading me to believe that this was in fact the original pump!

The second dealer charged me for the part and labor to put a new pump in. I wonder if they had to do this because they couldn't get reimbursement from Toyota since the first dealer would have already claimed it.

This whole thing makes my blood boil—I was left stranded on a highway and was lucky that the car could be towed to a dealership 7 miles away. I then had take a taxi to a rental car place so I could be on my way. Further, this crooked first dealer is getting payment for a part they never put in.

Mid-town Toyota will pay every last cent—for what the second dealer charged me, for the towing, for the taxi, for the rental car.

6. nthach

nthach New Member

I stay away from dealerships - while there are some that have really good mechanics working there, a majority of dealership techs are flat-rate wrenchturners that hustle every job to get hours in.

7. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not have paid a dime, and had the second dealership contact the first dealership. What I find interesting here is that if they had done nothing at all, you would have thought the car was done and would have never known. That is just plain crazy.

8. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    its not the mechanics but the dealerships presurering the mechanics but also car manaf. that dont pay more then 1 hour for a maybe 2 hours job replacing waranty stuff.

and in anycase this mechanic could wel have caused a really normal human thing and thats a human mistake!

10. lorkp

lorkp New Member

I was pretty steamed when I wrote that last post and now realize that it was probably just a mistake on their part. But a very serious one, nonetheless. I talked to the dealership today and they're going to reimburse me for everything. The only thing I can't get back is the time frustration spent.