1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Triangle Warning with Brake Error, VSC Light, Check Engine Light On

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ron's Enchanted Prius, May 23, 2014.

1. Ron's Enchanted Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Stopped at ATM when heard a thump under seat and all the above appeared on control panel. Waiting on computer code reader to test vehicle. Any clues to what all this means. Vehicle 2006 with 101K. Recent service as scheduled with coolant and inverter coolant and belt replacement done. No other issues to date with vehicle.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thump under seat is a new one.

How old is the 12 volt battery in the trunk?. Not the Hybrid battery but the little 12 volter? Ever had to be jump started?

Welcome by the way.

3. Ron's Enchanted Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 12 volt battery was replaced two months ago

Jump started once 6 years ago when wife let battery run down by leaving lights on

#3 Ron's Enchanted Prius, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you get the hybrid cooling pump TSB done? Its the Inverter coolant pump. Check for turbulence in the Inverter reservoir when the car is in READY.

5. Teacherjoe

Teacherjoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the TSB and where is it located and can I do it myself?

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    TSB is "Toyota Service Bulletin" which is issued to tell about problems that have been showing up more often than desired.

There are two independent cooling systems in a Prius. The usual one for the engine ("ICE") which uses a mechanically driven pump and a separate loop for the inverter (power electronics) which is driven by an electric pump. The ICE coolant pump is good for about 150k miles, but is known to leak a bit. The Electric inverter coolant pump is a common source of problems and was the subject of a TSB (actually a recall).

Replacing the inverter coolant pump is not a hard job, but getting the air bubbles out of the system can take time.

JeffD

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Teacherjoe

Teacherjoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got HIV battery changed and put back in. Just went for a test drive and when I turned it on, had to take fob out, the exclamation in triangle wouldn't go away and the charge went from great to 1 bar. Did I miss something?

Ok, disconnected orange safety and disconnected aux battery. Checked voltage,12.6, then hooked aux back up then put orange safety back in. Started engine, let it sit and think and it ran a little bit, codes self cleared and now all is well! Now I have to reassemble the rest of the car and go and enjoy my weekend. Thanks for all the advice, love his forum!

#8 Teacherjoe, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unhooking the 12v and/or high voltage orange safety may make the car temporarily "forget" that it is broken.
    As long as it is an intermittent issue, you might be able to get away with this.

If it comes back you'll want to get the codes read either with your own code reader, from a local parts store if they do it for free, or a trusted mechanic. The codes will point you in the right direction for a solution.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its probably going to come back. Only because you didn't interrogate after install with Techstream or equivalent to check the delta. May have a soft module in that one too.

Plus the hijack is bad luck.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  11. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very Bad LUCK! :)

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. Ron's Enchanted Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Error code P0A80, P3012. Indicated cell problem in block 13 with battery failure imminent. In for hybrid battery replacement at cost of just over $3,000 at dealership. All prior maintenance & TSBs performed except gas pedal revisions which was declined. All I can say is this was just bad luck as failure rate for these batteries is only 3 per 10000 vehicles. It is still a great vehicle.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it. there are less expensive options if you haven't committed yet.

14. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ron,
    Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the Madison,WI area I can install a rebuilt battery with 3 year warranty, unlimited miles for much less than that. Or depending on where you are located, there may be other reputable independents who could do the work for less than the dealer as well.