1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tricking SRS Light, and "Airbag Off" Light - Removed Passenger Seat for Good

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by andreimontreal, Jan 30, 2019.

1. andreimontreal

andreimontreal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I removed the passenger seat and the back seats to do a travel/camper conversion out of my Prius. I noticed the SRS light is on. Can anybody point me to a "how to" as to turn that light off and to do a bypass in the SRS system for the passenger seat?

Can I, should I remove the passenger airbags too? Anybody know how to turn off the light that says "airbag off" in the passenger seat?

I did a research on Google and I searched on the forum for the SRS light. All that I found online was that with 2 ohm resistors, the SRS system can be tricked but nothing conclusive.

2. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  4. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get it Pluggo ....?

Anybody has a how to with pics for the airbag sensor and the seat sensor? I'm a bit lost at what that guy did for the seat sensor.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ^^^cover it with tape^^^ :p

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why bother bypassing the passenger side SRS at all? With no passenger detected in the (missing) seat, the bag won't fire regardless. That is all the light is telling you. And with no passenger there, you don't need it to fire anyway.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  7. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I see Bisco. For sure - tape, shrink wrap, whatever it takes.

Fuzzy, it's just that the light is bothering me a little bit. If I can deal with it, why not; keeping visual pollution out.

I kept reading and re-reading and I think it's simple enough: it only takes a resistor (2ohm for Toyota from what I read). I saw this 370Z tutorial, the guy is using the chair's plug (with soldering) and sticks the resistor onto it. I've seen another guy buy some waterproof 2 pin auto connectors (male + female kit) and replacing the airbag connectors entirely (ie replacing the yellow connectors with some third party waterproof black connector) and the dude says they're better quality too so no issues later (you know when the car gets old and that connection might get weak and whatnot and the SRS light comes on randomly).

So, when I'm done with the resistor, I'll let you guys know how it went.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Duct or electrical tape over the display is faster, cheaper, and more reliable with vastly lower risk of complications or adverse consequences. Plus it is very easily reversible if such is ever needed.

The resistor path is the hard way.

Raytheeagle and RMB like this.
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Come back with the MPG difference. I'm about to do that but just the rear seats remove, I commute 100 mi a day and for no reason I'm trying to exceed 63 mpg average. The red wine is kicking in with weird ideas.

Solman636, James Powers and RMB like this.
  10. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll have to do a 250km trip soon with the empty car. Not the best point of reference as it will be in the Canadian harsh winter; so far my mpgs been crazy low (short trips+very cold weather, under 15F/-10C). After that, I'm going to install a wooden platform with walls, bolts, locks, latex foam pad, a canister/jug of water, gear - so I'll add quite a bit of weight.

kc5dlo likes this.
  11. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'd be interested in seeing your build. I do some car camping trips and might be interested in some of your ideas. Ran across a guy that made a camper out of a little Geo and removed the front seat to install a full length bed.

12. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey kc5dlo, I'll make a short film/montage and you'll see it for sure. I'll post some footage at least, pics and whatnot, when I'm done with the main construction.

@Grit, my trip was 150km, not 250. The computer said 4.9L/100km, and I saw it rise by 0.2-0.3 approximately while in traffic in Montreal and at the border QC-NY. Officially, at the pump, I calculate 5.6L / 100km. The road was dry, 0 C, strong gust of wind from the side to the point where it was pushing my car off the lane; I think I have a bad bearing too - hearing some noise - so all these might affect mpg. Also Heat working all the time. On average, the computer would give me at lesat 6 l/ 100km on highway under similar conditions - as far as I can remember. If u want to know more just ask.

Andrei

Grit likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the info. 2 days ago, I finally got the chance to figure out and pulled the back bench, the tray on top of spare tire, cover tray on top of that and rear seat headrests to see if I can gain anymore MPGs. Today on the way back on, after driving through 3 inches of water of roughly 50 yards (road flooded w/water) and pulling off to the shoulder for police car to pass by, I was able to yield 67.4 mpgs. I may remove the rear seats entirely if I feel adventurous, good thing I have no kids and not married or else that will never happen haha.

RMB likes this.
  14. Celanie Almquist

Celanie Almquist New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey! I would
    Hey Andrei! I am in the process of doing the same thing I just took my front seat out and tried plugging a 2.2 ohm resistor in the yellow clip but the airbag light is still on. I don’t really know what to do with the gray plug. I would love to see your build! Did you end up just taping over the airbag light?
    Celanie Prius 2013

15. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was sidetracked by my folks' reno project. Working on that 24/7 now. [​IMG]My idea. Something went wrong with posting the pics, see the link.

[​IMG]Working on aligning the frame well so I'd get the geometry for everything (tricky with a curved base and carpets) - I did the console twice and it turns I had stuff wrong, something wasn't twisted in place 100%. I did some mistakes: 1 my screws are skinny, I should've found a way to work with the final fastener (5mm bolts+t nut but I wanna varnish first before inserting those) secondly, my corner brackets are 88 degrees to pretension and it's a pain sometimes at it can get things crooked. If I didn't have these issues, I think I would've finished much faster. Secondly, I had to up my carpentry game: getting perfect 90 cuts (I actually finish them with the router for stuff like 0.25mm - I borrowed a track saw from a contractor bud). Every single mistake counts; making furniture demands high precision.

I wanna have this box in order to be able to lock it to protect my valuables - I know what other people do with a platform.

Are you sure the resistor made contact with the pins? Thanks for writing, I was about to buy some resistors these days.

Andrei

#15 andreimontreal, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021