1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tried a 17 inch wheel-tire package on my Prius. UGH!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Arizona Charlie, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

The Prius in the US is delivered with 185-65-R15 tires.

I decided to purchase a set of 17 inch wheels to see how they performed on the car.

I bought the following package:

4 each, 17 x 7 –100 / 114 Koenig Appeal wheels.
    4 each, Kumho 215 / 45 17 tires.
    4 each, wheel locks.

I got a terrific deal since I bought the package from a good buddy of mine who owns a tire store. The package retails for over $1100.00 but my pal sold me everything including mounting and balancing for $735.00 including tax.

The results follow:

THE GOOD:
    The handling improved considerably. It handled llike a sport car. Braking was better and when passing a large truck or on a windy highway, the car was no longer affected by the side draft created by either the wind or a truck. I attribute the handling and braking improvement to the larger ‘footprint’ the tires made. In layman’s terms, wider tires allow for more tire on the road at any time. Cosmetically, the addition of the wheels made the car look totally sharp. Also, the Koenig set-up did not change the overall height of the tires and wheels from those that came with the car. Thus, there was no need to adjust the computer, (yes it can be done by the owner in the computer display) and the speedometer and trip odometer were dead-on accurate. I determined this by using my Garmin Street Pilot GPS unit which displays speed of the vehicle and the distance traveled.

THE BAD:
    The ride was definitely rougher and noisier. I could definitely hear road noise as the car went over a crack or expansion joint in the road. While not particularly disturbing, it was somewhat distracting. I could have lived with the noise but for the following.

THE UGLY:
    Overall gas mileage decreased from my usual average of 39 to 42 MPG down to approximately 34 MPG.

So, off came the 17’s and back on the car went the original wheels and tires.

I do not recommend a wheel/tire swap. The factory spent a lot of time and money determining the optimum set-up and I am unqualified to do it better than Toyota.

I am of course aware that European and Japanese cars come with 16 inch wheels and I presume that the set-up works fine with the 16’s., however, I am not going to try 16’s.

I have less than 800 miles on the Koenig set-up and have decided to put the entire package on Ebay. The setup will work on 03 and 04 Corollas as well as on Saturn’s and a myriad of other cars.

The purpose of this article is not to sell the wheels and tires, but if anyone here wants the whole package post a reply on our Prius site with your Email address and I will get back to you.

Arizona Charlie

2. Gen2

Gen2 Member

Sorry to gear that you had such a bad experience. I suspect that the biggest problem you experienced could have been due to the high rolling resistance of the Kumho tires. The Prius was designed for, and comes with low rolling resistance tires. The more the tires resist rolling, the more fuel it takes to get them to roll.

Since you matched the tire size fairly well, and confirmed it with a GPS unit this seems the most likely factor.

There are other possibilities, such as increased aerodynamic drag due to the the wider tires, but I think that rolling resistance is most likely since Kumho is not known for having any low rolling resistance tires.

I have emailed Kumho to ask them what their lowest rolling resistance tire is, and what the value (coefficient) of rolling resistance for that tire actually is. If they reply with anything interesting, I will let you know.

In the meantime, you could try another tire with very low rolling resistance and see what happens to your mileage. I think that we should be able to find a wide, low profile tire that is also great on gas (I have a few ideas already, but am still working on them).

Good Luck.

3. sk66

sk66 Junior Member

no pics?????????:(

4. roverman

roverman New Member

17" wheels

:roll:
    hey gang,

I got the 17" wheel package from toyota. it is with pirrelli wheels and tires. really cool . i am averaging 48 to 50 mpg and this is mainly due to the fact that i am careful with takeoffs from the light and while your driving just ease off the accellerator and then touch back on it lightly and you will do a lot more traveling in "electric " mode. now i know my spelling is not that great but you get the idea.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the pic. Very nice. And, you're still getting good gas mileage. I am currently trying to use the same technique you hinted to. my mpg went up today by about 3 or 4 mpg. I was abusing speed on the first 65 miles of this tank, so i was getting 38.5 or so. Someone else mentioned this technique. when you take off, try to keep it above 30mpg. It all averages out better. I accelerate lightly till i hit mid 30's.. or low 30 mph.. and i get 30+mpg at this time. As i slowly accelerate up to 45mph.. i'm getting 60mpg.. at times ( like earlier today) i was getting 70. This morning i averaged 65mpg on my way to work. Only a 15-20 min drive.

:mrgreen:

6. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That easing off and then stepping gently back is known as 'feathering' to many.

7. roverman

roverman New Member

mpg and 17" wheels

:lol:
    the mpg will come with practice. i get up to about 35 then take my foot off of the accerator then ever so slightly put my foot back on the accelerator. the best sceen is as far as i am concerned is the electric and gas motor screen. the other with the watts regenerated is handy also if you can try to keep that tricky vertical bar on the right between 50-75 but like i said before aggressive driving will do two things , kill the mpg and generate speeding tickets :lol:

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree.. and it seems this is the way to drive the prius.. because i do the exact same thing at the exact same speed. the car seems to ge to about 30-35 very quickly.. with almost no effort.. which is nice.. but after that.. it's about a 1mph gain every couple seconds. about the flow of traffic in the slow lane up here in San Jose.

9. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well when I was getting my Prius, the dealer inform me average gas mileage will drop at least 2 to 3 mile if I choose Touring package. Which come with 16" wheel. But I grad choose Touring package, because much better ride over 15" wheel also stiffer spirng and spoiler package did the job.

10. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    roverman, that is one great looking set of wheels/tires!
    art

11. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

Why do the Bigger rims make you get less MPG?

12. Mike PhD PE

Mike PhD PE New Member

Larger wheels have a higher moment of inertia. this means it takes more energy to get a 17" wheel to roll than a 15", and also to stop. A wider tire will also have some more rolling resistance, but the biggest impact is from the increased moment of inertia as well as the increased weight of the wheel.

The general heuristic about wheel weight is that in terms of acceleration, adding 1lb per wheel is like adding 10 lbs to the car.

This is why if one wants to go with a larger wheel with a higher moment of inertia, it can be mitigated somewhat by choosing a much lighter wheel.

13. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kumho's are known to be noisy tires.

14. Red_Prii

Red_Prii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The 215/45/17 have an outer diameter that is about .4" smaller than the stock 195/65/15 setup making initial spin-up less stressful. I reckon this may somewhat offset the increased width (195 to 215mm). Also, the car will sit about .4" lower to the road; I reckon this aerodynamic will also help offset the increase in tread width.

I have my Prius on Michelin Defender 205/60/16 steelies with avg. @ 44mpg (car sits .7" higher that stock 15" setup)

I am about to throw on my Michelin x-ice winter tires 215/45/17 with some American Racing 17" rims. I was bummed to learn car will now sit 1.1" lower than stock 15" set up. SO I'm losing over an inch in ride height at a time when i could use it most; with all that snow on the roads. Oh well, that's what I get for not figuring it out before I mounted them.

#14 Red_Prii, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  15. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    dead thread, but you definitely need to do the math before changing tire size. btw, the oem tires are actually too short, so the speedo (and likely the mfd) reads high.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Red_Prii Second gen stock size is 185/65R15 if I'm not mistaken.

17. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i think the gen 3 comes with 195's. maybe Toyota figured out 185 is too small by 2010.

gta_ and Mendel Leisk like this.