1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tried out the "Emergency shut-off" trick

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kev1000000, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

So, i was driving my girlfriend home late at night and decided after i dropped her off to try out this Emergency shut-off option.

I pressed and held the power button for about 5 seconds and sure enough, the engine shut off, the power steering didnt work, the dash turned off, but the display and stero stayed on. Brakes worked fine and everything was fine.

You really understand how awesome the electric steering assist really is after trying this.

If you want to try this out, i suggest having no one behind or in front of you and be on a straightaway.

It was pretty cool to try out though! :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I guess this emergency shut off only works if you needed to stop the car in a straightaway otherwise you'll get a workout trying to turn the vehicle?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Kev,
    Thanks for trying this out. Even knowing that there are more computerized safety checks than I can think of, I'm still too chicken to try such things.

What was the slowdown rate? Did your car roll as though you were just coasting or was it more sudden as though shifted into ?

Someone mentioned previously that the emergency shut-off would be good if the driver became suddenly incapacitated. It would seem to me that in this situation, the passenger would be able to more quickly work the steering wheel than get their foot through the center console to step on the brake. Not to mention that the chances of this situation conveniently occurring on the straight-away seem slim. To me, it would make more sense to provide steering assist and rapidly decrease speed.

Then again, in the five seconds you have to hold the (Power) button, it would be easier to shift into .

4. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

^^ yea, you slowed down like you were coasting; no engine braking or regenerative braking.

My only guess would be that you might need this feature if your car caught on fire or something, or something happened to the drivetrain.

I dont really know why its there, but its kinda weird to play with :p

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you exit that mode? Do you have to come to a complete stop, shut off and restart?

6. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

^^ yea, thats what i did.

I didnt try it while rolling because you have to have your foot on the brake to start the car anyway

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This "feature" is documented somewhere. If the car is stopped, it will drop to park and turn off. If the car is in motion, it will drop to ACC mode to prevent damage to the park mechanism. I believe it's 5mph or so for the cutoff.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

They shouldn't kill the power steering though. It is electric. A better approach would be to go into IG-On, so you have brake (including Anti-Lock) and power steering. The high voltage would still be cut off in this mode, plus you could go into/stay in neutral.

As for re-powering, you normally do have to press the brake to power on to ready, but you don't have to press hard. A light press would work as well as a firm one. I verified this as I was testing if it was possible to power on to ready without activating the accumulator pump.