Tried seemingly everything to increase MPG -- wondering if I need a new battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Mongoose2, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Doug McC

Doug McC Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    While I haven’t collected a lot of “data” (a nod to bisco ;) ), I have noticed a commonality to “I’m getting poor gas mileage” posts: a lot of those who have this complaint use the Prius as a camper. Wonder if that might be part of the problem? Just an observation.

#21 Doug McC, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can’t imagine mpgs going up when burning gasoline with car in park.

Doug McC likes this.
  3. Mongoose2

Mongoose2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Of that list, the only things I haven't done are the coils and injectors. There's no noticeable oil burning. My understanding is injectors are usually pretty solid so I'll look into the coils. As for calculating my MPG, I usually go by what the car says but I have calculated it myself and it wasn't much different.

I said seemingly everything. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't open to ideas. I'll try changing the ATF. Already tried fuel system cleaners.

I'm not such a moron that I'd include camping in my averages.

I'll be back after looking into the aforementioned stuff. Thanks again for the responses.

#23 Mongoose2, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  4. Doug McC

Doug McC Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    [QUOTE

I'm not such as a moron that I'd include camping in my averages.

I'll be back after looking into the aforementioned stuff. Thanks again for the responses.[/QUOTE]

No one is calling you a moron, but you may be missing the point. Your Prius was designed for a specific purpose. Is it, even remotely, possible that using it for purposes that exceed that design, just might, maybe, be a cause of your problem? What happens to the vehicle on the weekend, actually can have an affect during the week (kind of like life in general).

5. KamiKKazi

KamiKKazi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The three things I did that improved my fuel economy were new wheel bearings @223K, ATF fluid change and a new Project Lithium Battery pack. I would recommend trying the first two before replacing the battery.

nicoj36 likes this.