1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tried to lock my Fob in the Prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tullynoon, Oct 18, 2005.

1. tullynoon

tullynoon New Member

I was warm so I took off my jacket (with the keys in the pocket) and I laid it on the seat. Sure enough, I got out of the car, closed the door and tried to lock it -- no deal! It beeped loudly so I pushed the lock button again -- and another beep. That's when it dawned on me that the keys and Fob were in my jacket pocket. Wow!!! A car that's smarter than I am. I really love this thing.

Patrick

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, the first time I did that, I was like, 'Wth? Why won't the car lock?' then it dawned on me...

Great car.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I use that trick to show people that my car is Tony Proof.

DO NOT TRY THIS TRICK WITH THE HATCH!!!
    The fob sensor may not see the fob when it's in the hatch and you will actually lock the key in the car. Likewise, don't put the fob in your gym bag, open the hatch, throw the bag in the back and try to start the car. I tried that one too.

Here are some other fun things you do with Smart Key:
    1) Tell friends that the handles use biometrics to unlock when you touch the fingerprint reader. Also that the push-button reads your fingerprints and locks the door.
    2) Walk up to your car in the dark. As you approach, say something like, "Prius, recognize <yourname>" and the dome light will illuminate as you get closer.
    3) Also, tell your friends that your car likes a good petting. As you walk up, start rubbing the hood and work your way around to the door. Again, the dome light will illuminate.

4. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have got to try those...Thanks!

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not sure you COULD lock it in the hatch from the outside unless someone else also had a fob. I guess I'll try it, with the spare fob tested and available. But if the fob isn't close enough to the lock, and on the outside, I think pushing the button would be no different than telling your passanger to lock the car from the outside after you both closed your doors. I know it won't let you lock the car if any door or the hatch are not FULLY closed so you couldn't even push the button, throw the fob in then close the hatch.

6. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I inadvertantly tried to lock a fob in the trunk and the car wouldn't let me. I had mine in my pocket, but we parked somewhere and my wife didn't want to carry her purse. Tossed it in the back hidden beneath cargo shade, and closed the hatch. Pressing the black button just resulted in beeps until I remembered she had the other fob in her purse.

However, there is an outrageous tale of woe on this board, where the fob was locked in the trunk while visiting a water park. In this case, it was a bit easier because SKS was turned off.

See: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=9...indpost&p=94198

7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For what it's worth: if you want to keep an extra fob in the car, say, in a suitcase on a trip and you don't want to have to carry both fobs with you when you park the car, you can do so by putting the extra fob in an empty Altoids box, or any metal box. Altoid boxes work great and are just the right size. The metal box prevents the signal from being transmitted between car and fob.

Bob

8. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Huh! What do you know. Thanks for the tip...