1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tried to replace radio. Vsc on with blown dome light fuse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by drgonzo, Jul 4, 2015.

1. drgonzo

drgonzo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Happy 4th everyone. I apologize if this is in the wrong section. My first thread. I have a bone stock 2007. 113,000 miles. Today i Took apart the dash. Removed the radio to put in a new cd player. I installed the 68 ohm resistor, between the pink and the white on the radio harness, detailed in the metra dash kit insctructions. Then I went to attach my metra wiring harness. And it Didnt match up. I have the metro 70-1761. So I hopped online. It appears I need the pac tato or similar? I was intending to bypass the jbl system. And go active crossover with my 4 channel amp with my new component speakers i have. So I just need 12v,accessory,ground. Anyways. Seeing i need a different harness. I removed the resistor. Insualated the white and pink wires. Then Plugged everything back to the stock radio. Proceded to put all the panels back on. Went to start the car. My smart key wouldn't work. I put it in the slot. The car will start but my vsc light is on. Red triangle in D. No keyless entry. no power door locks. No mfd screen, its black. No radio. So I hopped back on google. Found a common thing is blown dome light fuse, to cause these symptoms. I looked its blown. I walked to the auto part store bought mini 15amp fuses. Went to replace it, and it immediatly sparked and blew And my alarm starting going off. I put the smart key in. Started the car, alarm shut off. At This point I know there has to be a short??? but where?? eeek. This sucks. The only thing i did besides unplug the stock radio. Was strip the pink and white for the resistor. And there insulated, not broken, or touching each other, or anything. I Took out my multimeter and probed the radio plugs in the dash. I couldnt get a reading on any pin? I clipped the hot wire on the cigarette plug probed it it still is getting power. So i butt connected that back together, insulated it. It works. Charges my phone. So at this point. Vsc light on. no radio. no smart key. No door locks. But the windows work. and the car will start with the key fob inserted. It immediatly blows the dome light fuse if you try to put one in. I'm afraid the car has to go to the mechanic or the dealer? I have stereo knowledge. Went to mobile dynamics in arizona over ten years ago. I've installed a lot of stereo systems in cars. But This has me stumped and feeling retarded. Can a fellow prius guy chime in please? Anyone have some input or advice? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. Happy to join the forum

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    your gonna have to take it back apart and see what's pinched or crossed.

3. drgonzo

drgonzo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did. Left all the panels off to continue in the morning trouble shooting.

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you check all the fuses, under the dash and under the hood? My 12v wire decided I didn't crimp it hard enough and fell out. Blew a fuse (can't remember which one), power locks and maybe some other stuff didn't work. I would double check all the fuses and make sure the wires are all in good shape. I had the base sound system, so I can't really help with the JBL specific stuff.

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    this is why you should solder and shrink tube all connections. most of the crimping pliers I've seen are junk, they can't consistently make a solid crimp.

6. drgonzo

drgonzo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my haste/Excitement to put my radio in. I realized i did'nt disconnect the battery. Wich i do in every car i work on. Is it possible i Fried a component in the dash. Or messed up the system by unplugging the radio With the battery still connected? I've gone over every plug and connection i can find. Everything looks good. The only thing i cut was the 12 volt on the cigarette plug. Its connected and heat shrinked.

7. drgonzo

drgonzo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My brakes have been making noises the last two months. And get ultra sensitive in the pedal at low speeds. Is it possible i really could have a brake system problem? I literally only unplugged the radio. I dont get the whole vsc thing. Something is causing the short. My next step is have it read for codes i think.

8. drgonzo

drgonzo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just dropped the car at the mechanic. I'll post a update to what it was when i know.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? sounds more like a brake problem than radio to me. probably just a coincidence. let us know the outcome, all the best!(y)

10. drgonzo

drgonzo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Turned out to be a 7.5 amp fuse under the dash along with the 15 amp dome light fuse under the hood. Car is fine.

ftl likes this.