1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trilobite news

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, May 4, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: 11-Year-Old Tennessee Girl Discovers 475-Million-Year-Old Fossil Of A Trilobite Near A Lake | Tech Times

Colin Sumrall, an associate professor of paleobiology at the University of Tennessee, said that the discovery was unique because fossils of trilobites typically molt and crumble.

"To find one where all the pieces are intact, it's actually a pretty lucky find," said Sumrall.

Sorry but I've been in fossil laden, sedimentary rock fields where you could not help but walk on them. True, most of them showed evidence of predation (i.e., unplanned disassembly.) This was in middle school in Oklahoma where you can find preachers claiming fossils are evidence of 'the great flood.'

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A disassembled fossil is not always evidence of predation. Sometimes sediments shift around before getting locked in for the big bake.

Anyway, yes, trilobite fossils are common enough that they are an archetype of anything pre-dino. I suspect they were both hugely abundant and present during a time when shallow seas were doing fossil entrapment quite efficiently.

I don't not know a reason why this particular trilobite find got people

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well, 57 views, maybe Pancake-land is interested in fossils.

How birds got their beaks - new fossil evidence - BBC News

Is new because transitional forms between toothy jaws and bird-like beaks have been rare. As an aside, absence of transitional forms has often been invoked as evidence against evolution. Few of any forms get fossilized (and remain unbroken and recognizable). Few of those get excavated and curated. So there will always be a general shortage.

Were the opposite true, Earth would be hip-deep in old bones and, well, altogether weird in a different way.