1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trip computer limited to 9,999 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Flaninacupboard, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've left Trip B running since i bought the car to get a lifetime MPG reading. Just noticed tonight that it has run back round to 0 miles. I also noticed that on the screen with the bar chart showing trip history, the mileage count on trip B is stuck at 9,999. How annoying. I really don't like the cheap little VFD, wish they had stuck with a colour LCD that counts higher than 99.9, 9,999 and 299,999.....

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How long a trip were you planning on?

3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well i expect to keep the car to 100,000+ so it would be nice for the trip counter to last that long - did in my last car! I just like to know what my average MPG and MPH are for the life of the car.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I noticed the same thing, but lifetime mpg is useless information anyway because it'll flatline after a while and won't change much.

5. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Geeze, you’ve got an odometer, trip A & B (which can be added) and your still not happy?

I guess if you build automobiles at some point you have to realize that you can please most of the people some of the time and some of the people most of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, it's worse... since the margin-of-error is greater than the minor changes you'll see. The value becomes quite misleading at that point.

On paper is still the best choice. You simply can't the get a computer guessing about quantity at the pump and rounding fuel injection volume to be accurate enough.

Sorry.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I hadn't thought of using it that way. I thought perhaps you were considering a grand tour of Europe by Prius, might be fun.

I guess pencil and paper, as John suggests, would work well for your application.

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    <deleted>

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Odometer (minus initial reading when car picked up)/total # of gallons purchased = Lifetime MPG

I've been keeping a spreadsheet since I got the car. It's a simple matter keeping it up-to-date. I use Trip B for tank MPG, Trip A for daily commute/weekend driving.

10. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think the color Lcd is 5-10 times better. I'm coming up with that number from the costs to replace them.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I must strongly agree. Operator error and fumbled-finger shop techs don't erase the paper record.