1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trip Meter and the Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Celsius, May 28, 2011.

1. Celsius

Celsius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quick question for the Trip Meter.

If you remove the battery contact (effectively removing power to the car) does the trip odometer reset? Just wondering, as I plan on doing a relay install for my HID setup.

Thanks...

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No the trip odo does not reset.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mark...
    You sure about that?
    IIRC, when they replaced my battery, all of my MDF data except the vehicle ODO reading went away.
    The only reason I don't know for sure is that I had to have the "technicians" for my company do the work, since I'm not allowed to swing wrenches on my own (OK...the company's! ;) ) ride.
    The knuckle draggers may have scrammed the MDF data through some other means....I do not know.

OP:
    There was a thread about owners replacing the 12-v battery, and how to keep all of the vehicle's volatile settings (radio presets, MDF history, lock preferences, etc....)

The take-away from that is that you can either put a trickle charger onto the charging post for the car, or use a (small!) 12-volt battery of some sort. By small...I mean a 12-v NiCad, or some sort of alkaline battery holder that produces 12-V.

Personally? I've used a small battery charger before to preserve radio presets and other data on vehicles, however (comma!) I've not done so with a vehicle as 'delicate' as a G3.
    Others have, but there were strong opinions in this forum about the voltage levels and damage to onboard electronics....opinions which are varied and quite passionate.
    Your call.

Good Luck with the relay install!!!