1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

trip meter vs consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sundy58, May 16, 2009.

1. sundy58

sundy58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My experience has been that when I reset the trip meter 'A' the mileage on the 'consumption' screen of the display resets. I do not reset the consumption every time as that would then not give me an average fuel mileage long term.

At the dealership they told me that the trip meter and the comsumption display have to reset together. I think they are wrong.

I have been looking at the owners manual (online) but haven't found anything either way yet.

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't noticed that correlation. I just reset my Trip A on Wednesday, but it didn't change the "Miles" on my MFD.

If you are worried about determining the long-term mileage, that can be managed just by keeping track of your progress by recording the miles and the MPGs (and whatever other information you seek) each time you fill the tank. There are several spreadsheets people have developed to make this task easier.

If you do a search for spreadsheet, you'll find several options. If you still aren't satisfied, then post here, and I (or someone else) will help you.

3. sundy58

sundy58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thanks for the reply. What is the MFD? I would like to get the 'lingo' so I can make better posts.

4. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    MFD stands for "Multi Function Display."

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

1. Consumption screen will reset when you add 2.6+ gals of fuel. It is not tied to the trip meter 'A'.

2. Dealership was not correct.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. sundy58

sundy58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks dogfriend. Is that in the owners manual? If so what page? I didn't get one with my car. This means the 'consumption' screen has never worked properly for us. I am going on a long trip next week so I will be able to document the MFD quirks.

7. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    - i try to go at least 200 miles (abt 4 gallons) before refill. that is, there have been times where i have added 3 gallons, yet the MFD does not automatically reset.

- also, my MFD will consistently auto reset abt 1/10 of a mile after i reset the trip meter 'A' at the gas station once a 4 gallon refill is performed.

- i have not reset my MFD in 18K miles. currently reads 49.8 mpg.

- i paid $2.35 @ Costco on Friday-5/15/09

8. sundy58

sundy58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What happened with ours is that we reset a trip meter in all our cars to track fuel mileage. It's a good way to find problems with your car. If mileage changes drastically it's an indicator of something wrong.

So I suppose when we reset the trip meter at fill up (almost always more than 3 gal.) the computer would reset too. I made an incorrect cause effect correlation.

The wife filled up yesterday and it did not reset it's self. If this indicative of a problem I want it fixed before the warranty runs out. I read a bit of the very long 'incorrect fuel gauge reading' thread and that makes me wonder if it just a poorly implemented feature or a bug.

9. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It is on page 168 of the 2007 Owners Manual.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should buy one and read it through. It's not the best-written document but it contains lots of things you need to know. Any dealer can sell you a copy.

11. sundy58

sundy58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was going to ask about the best place to buy one?

12. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  13. sundy58

sundy58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lotsa wine tonight so be kind.

2. Toyota TIS (tech info service). You can subscribe for 24 hrs for $10 and download a PDF copy. You can also download repair manuals.

So I can download the Owners manual and the Service manual for $10 in a 24 hour period? Many small downloads or a couple big downloads?

Thanks for all the help guys. Oh gals too.

14. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Lots of small downloads for the Service Manual. Thousands of pages. Its possible to do it in 24hrs, but not fun, all the various sections are separate PDF files.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this: http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/60662-2007-owners-manual-pdfs.html