1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trip MPG Highlight and efficiency question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by brighamwj, Aug 23, 2007.

1. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Travelled 7k in the last 2 months around the western U.S with only minor rock debris damage on the hood.

One of the few tank fills went over 600 miles and averaged 57.9 mpg. I had a couple of others in the mid 50s. I'll admit that a good 200 of those miles were spent in the high and hilly Yellowstone National Park where the Speed Limit never tops 45 mph. Heck, at 89 mph on the interstate the thing still averages about 38.

Normally I get 43 mpg on average. Currently I am just under 18k total mile on my vehicle odo. Any truth to rumors that prius electrical/mechanical efficiency increases after 20-25k?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brighamwj @ Aug 23 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]501160[/snapback]</div>
    I don't see how electrical efficiency is going to improve over time. IMO there are too many variables to be able to accurately attribute FE gains. My factors for better FE include: Driver ed, harder tires, blocked grill, & Shell gas. Road noise was significantly less on this year's trip to Indiana compared to last year's when the car was new, attributed to tire wear. An EBH will also cause improvement.

3. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 23 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]501284[/snapback]</div>
    What is special about shell gas?

4. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am curious, shell gas and a blocked grill?

How does shell beat Chevron, Mobil, Conoco, etc?

I erred when I wrote Electrical efficiency, maybe the integration of the two systems or just the mechanical efficiency boosts mpg.

I saw previous posts regarding improving mpg and wanted an update with new opinions.

It probably goes with out saying that an educated (or not) pulse and glide pussyfoot (used in YNP) will beat a lead footed prissy pilot in mpg every day.

Thank you for the expansive input.

5. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 23 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]501284[/snapback]</div>

Please explain a blocked grill and its benefits. I am also unfamiliar with EBH.