1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trip mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by chesleyn, Apr 30, 2012.

1. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello everyone. I just took possession of my 2012 PiP on Saturday. I am transitioning from an '06 Honda Civic Hybrid (HCH2).

Very comfortable with pulse & glide so I can see the Prius is going to be a lot of fun! I will get to some comparisons further down the post, but want to ask my question first.

On the 06HCH2 I would use the trip meter to measure MPG for the day ( usually TRIP B ). While viewing the trip meter, you could see your MPG for that number of driven miles. I don't see how I can do this in the PiP? How do I get my MPG for the current trip? This usually reminds me to keep a light foot on the petal and to use my pulse & glide techniques while driving that day.

Now for the comparisons.

1) The 12 PiP is way heavier than the HCH2. Feels like I'm driving a tank.

2) The Prius MID is much more complicated than the HCH2. As I said earlier. I would use the trip meter to measure MPG for each day.

3) HCH2 would kick on the ICE the second you take your foot off the brake. This would be EXTREMELY annoying at drive thru's. I would be forced to shut the motor off after each small movement. (Starbucks addiction not McDonalds)

The ICE would also turn on all the time in heavy traffic -- I live in Long Beach, California and the 405 freeway tends to be jammed often. Honda recommended the car stay in S-mode which left the ICE on all the time while sitting in heavy traffic... didn't make sense.

4) Overall, I feel that the Prius hybrid technology is much further advanced than Hondas.. I was averaging 45-48 mpg with tires inflated with nitrogen at 40psi if I "just drove like every other freak in LA". If I drove light footed and remembered to pulse & glide I could easily get about 50-52 mpg per tank.

Most of my driving is up to LA & Pasadena. Thus I'm driving on the freeways which have an average speed of either 15mph or 80 mph. For those of you who don't like in Southern California... speeding tickets do not exist here unless you are driving 100+

2. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congratulations on your new PiP!

It's a fantastic vehicle.

I think that which display you watch is a matter of personal preference; i like to use the HSI, or Hybrid System Indicator for driving in EV, and the Energy display for driving in HV mode.

Each display has an Odometer, trip 1 and trip 2.

I personally use trip 1 as current tank of gas and leave trip 2 for lifetime stats.

The HSI display will list CONS mpg, which is mpg for displayed trip meter.

Also, when you power off the PiP, the display will show, for a few seconds, MPG for current trip just taken. Next time you power off, watch the display. if you take an EV only trip, it should show 999 mpg.

I'd say exactly which meters you monitor is going to be experimentation and preference. That's one of the fun things about this vehicle, and comparing notes with other folks in this forum.

3. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Crewdog thanks. That helped tremendously!