1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Triple-A to offer hybrid discounts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Oct 12, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was in my local AAA office this evening getting a passport photo. As the photo developed, I started some small talk with the woman asking if she knew anything about AAA replacing their fleet vehicles with hybrids. She didn't. But when I asked if AAA would be offering hybrid discount, the guy in the back spoke up indicating that they are working on it. He proffered that they will most likely initiate the program in Michigan and fine-tune it. After the program and contracts and what-not are worked out, they will implement the program in more areas.

I hope it's soon. I'm stoked.

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 12 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]332102[/snapback]</div>

what kind of discounts would they be? :)

3. fphinney

fphinney Member

Avid -

"what kind of discounts would they be?"

Now that's an interesting question. Questions seem to have a way of defining the asker. Do you have trouble with reading comprehension? Once again, the opening post said, "the guy in the back spoke up indicating that they are working on it."

Don't you suppose that might mean that nothing's been decided?

4. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Oct 18 2006, 04:13 AM) [snapback]334322[/snapback]</div>

It might and it might not, as far as discussions goes. Besides, the question wasn't directed at you.

5. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Oct 18 2006, 05:13 AM) [snapback]334322[/snapback]</div>
    That was quite rude. Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? ;) I'm sure he was just "thinking out loud", because I was wondering the same question.

6. SaintStephen

SaintStephen New Member

Maybe he's just sensitive to the anniversary of the Loma Prieta event. Us Californians get sensitive about earthquakes. :)

7. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney)</div>
    I was about to respond to the guy with the above qoute, but you all know what I was going to say already !!!!!

8. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    fphinney's comment is both rude and unnecessary. TonyPSchaefer's statement is abiguous. AAA offers memberships to their club. Is that what AAA will offer discounts on or are they offering discounts on the cars. What discounts are they working on. So the question is valid to get clarification.

9. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 12 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]332102[/snapback]</div>
    Oooh, that' be pretty cool! If the rumor is indeed true, way to go AAA! :D

10. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Oct 18 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]334592[/snapback]</div>
    I would assume they are looking at offering a discount on their car insurance, rather than membership or car purchasing.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got my Prius mostly for the environmental benefits. So joining AAA, with their horrible anti-environmental record, seemed counter-productive. I joined Better World Club (thanks for the tip, Click and Clack!) - and yes, they DO have a discount for hybrids.

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 18 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]334685[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip on the better world club. I have AAA now, but mainly as a backup in case my spouse has car trouble and I'm not there to deal with it, but we've used it maybe twice in 20 years or so. Some interesting reading there on AAA's lobbying efforts etc.

13. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaintStephen @ Oct 18 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]334525[/snapback]</div>
    I lived in Los Gatos from 1981 to 1998; I was in Cupertino when that 1989 quake hit. My home was about halfway up the Santa Cruz mountains, just east of the Novitiate Winery and old Guadalupe College. (The house is still there, but we now live 200mi south.)

As for the OP's comment about AAA offering discounts, it's definitely too vague for speculation at this point. First, we don't know if the guy who said it is well-informed, or whether he's repeating office hearsay. Even if we assume he's an informed source, we don't know if it's discounts on insurance, membership, or just that they're adding hybrids to their car purchase program.

Nor do we know in what state(s) these discounts will be offered. Each state's AAA is somewhat independent of the others; here in California, we have different AAA organizations for northern and southern California.

Now, though, I expect to see CNN broadcast this unsubstantiated info on TV, since nobody in the media seems to check sources. They'll just assume this thread is news.

14. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(archermoo @ Oct 18 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]334641[/snapback]</div>
    I think I would believe a discount on hybrid insurance more than a discount on cars. That would be very unusual.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 18 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]334685[/snapback]</div>
    I gave up AAA 2 years ago and joined the AARP motoring club - cheaper. Even earned my money back for the first year when they paid for a hotel stay when my other car broke on a trip. Will look at betterworldclub for next year since I just renewed.

15. fphinney

fphinney Member

Sorry to those whose hackles I raised. I was trying to point out that some of us seem to post questions that are unclear?

Here is more news about Prius perks:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[​IMG]

Insurance Break for Hybrid Owners in 2006
    January 6, 2006

Travelers has announced plans to implement a 10 percent discount on auto insurance for hybrid vehicle owners in the United States beginning in February 2006.

[Complete article: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006..._insurance.html ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inside Line

Edmunds.com

Green Watch: Some Corporations Offer Cash to Employees for Buying Hybrids
    Date posted: 06-08-2006

Bank of America is offering a $3,000 cash-back deal to some 21,000 employees who live in or near Charlotte — the company's headquarters — as well as Boston and Los Angeles in what it says is a pilot program. Employees who take advantage of the deal will have to pay taxes on the money and can only receive the offer once.
    Google, the Internet search company, is offering $5,000 rebates to employees who buy a hybrid and $2,500 to those who lease one. The Boston Globe reports an even greener program on the part of Timberland, the New Hampshire-based outdoor-apparel company: a $3,000 cash incentive for buying a hybrid, plus a special reserved parking space near the front of the headquarters building.

What this means to you: Money green is what will really get people thinking green.

[Complete article: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115680 ]

16. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaintStephen @ Oct 18 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]334525[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surprise!

Actually, I was on the roof of a 4-story building at Fisherman's Wharf at 5:04 pm October 17, 1989.

[​IMG]

This is the building on the left - with the dark windows.