1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TripleTred vs ComforTred vs HydroEdge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acousticbiker, Dec 30, 2005.

1. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

I'm waiting to take delivery of my '06 Seaside #8 in early January and have decided that I will replace the OEM Integritys immediately. I live in a Colorado mountain town just outside of Denver and drive 60 miles round trip to work. So I'd like to minimize the mileage hit but maximize the winter performance.

I've done a search on these tires and it seems that there hasn't been much of a discussion for a while, so it would be nice to hear some feedback now that there's been more experience with them. How are people feeling these days about these tires?

Also, for those who have the TripleTreds, what size did you choose?

2. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have the Comfortreds on a minivan and I can say they are very quiet. Can't say how well they would handle against the tripletred or hydroedge - I suspect not as well. So it depends on your priorities. Have not used them in snow, but the Goodyear website indicates they are snow capable. I like you will be switching out the Integrity tires upon delivery of my '06. I suspect I will go w/ one of the Goodyear options. I would probably consider the Michellin's if I had to contend w/ much rain where I live.

3. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I put the comfortrend on my o5 with only 2000 miles on it and was night and day
    diff.i traded 2 days ago with 13,000 miles on it and had the dealer put them
    on my new 06 pkg 4.I know they have about 11000 miles on them but would rather
    have them on my new one than the new ones that came on it.had to change rubber
    because of the sensers on the rims on the 06.the dealer is not going to do the paper work
    till jan 2nd.told him if he runs it before the 2nd i would be pretty mad and would hate
    like hell to go back to prison..........
    with the orig tires i had drifting,trac control screwing up on water and snow.with
    the comfortrend i went through ohio with 35mph winds with strong gusts and felt nothing
    unless a semi went past me.
    I put the hydroedge on my 99 avalon and they are great.no noise and ride fine.many posts said they are fine on the prius but are noisy.
    hope this helps

4. benighted

benighted New Member

I put a set of Toyo Proxies TPT on my Prius. They are snow and mud rated and provide a nice firm ride. Edit: And quiet too!

5. Dripps

Dripps New Member

I am also interested in this debate. I expect my new Prius in a couple weeks and want to be prepared. How about tire size. Are you sticking with same size tires? I see you can go bigger. I'm coming from AWD car and also relatively quiet car, so I don't want to add any noise with tires.

6. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed my OEM tires to Toyo Spectrums at 10,000 miles, just got tired of slipping and sliding using the original tires. Car handles great, especially in the slush and snow of midwest winters.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm about 6500 miles into my HydroEdges. Frankly the mileage hit is nearly immeasurable after about 2000 miles. You'll probably never notice a thing except that your FE improves over the first few months of ownership if you put them on immediately.

I'm pretty happy with the HydroEdges. The traction and handling are far superior and enough to make even a very conservative driver like myself happy.

8. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Two weeks ago my wife had a flat tire with her 2002 Saab 9-5. I was going to put Hydoedges on but simply could not find any to save my soul. Heard they were on strike. Then the dealer said they could get 4 new Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds. As I had already done the research for my Prius I immediately said go ahead.

WOW. That is all I can say. These tires are simply the best I have ever experienced. Tonight in the Saab I was in one of those slushy wet kind of snow blizzards. This car was rock solid. I even tried to gun it and it just wouldn't slip. I also tried quick braking and it was like I was on dry road. I am not kidding.

I had another snow experience like this recently and that is what convinced me to buy yet another set of them for my Prius. I got them today and delivered them to the Prius dealer for them to replace the OEM's. Everything I have ever read about them is positive. This is apparently a new design only about a year old.

Ok, thats the good news. The bad news is they are like hens teeth to find. If you can find them grab them. It took me a week of solid searching to find someone who could get their hands on a set. Even the dealer I bought them from said this was the first set of tires people are actually coming into the dealer store asking for them. And apparently they have been advertising them recently too and have not been able to keep them in stock.

Ok, one more thing. I do not work or represent anyone at Goodyear. I am just one very satisfied customer.

Cheers.

9. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The stock Integrity's are just fine for me and come "gratis" with the car. I have had no problems whatsoever with them and they'll last at least 40,000 miles. My next tires will be another set of Integritys or Sam's Goodyear Viva2s--low rolling resistance and a treadwear index of 440.

10. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great to hear a positive report on the OEM tires. Where do you live, if I may ask? What mpg are you getting with them? What tire pressures do you run?

BTW, I didn't think the OEM tires have a particularily low rolling resistance?

11. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm embarassed to admit it but I replaced mine with another set of integrity tires. At 42,000 miles they had a little tread left on them and had worn evenly with only one tire rotation that whole time. I ran them at 42/40 the whole time. The wet weather handling is not great but alot better than any other vehicle I've ever owned.(pickups) They lose their rain grooves about 60% of the way through their life. We've had a severe drought here so I don't remember what rain is and I stayed home during the ice storm. I average 56 MPG. My high tank is 818 miles at 65.1 MPG. Except for this recent report by Evan, everything I had read reported a 5-10% mileage hit. I just didn't want to go backwards. Maybe I'll switch when my wife's Prius needs a set next year.

12. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been following this discussion for some time. We put Hydroedge on our 2002 Echo - with excellent traction and low noise results. After 15k mi of highway driving they show little wear.

As I am now at 18k in our Prius, I anticipate the replacement tires will also be Hydroedge.

13. HNDRICKS10

HNDRICKS10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a 2005 Pruis

I decided early on to switch to the Hydroedges, love these tires in the wet and
    snow. They are a little noisy on concrete but great otherwise.

A friend of mine put a set of triple treds on his 2003 Camry a few months ago,
    his only comment about them was that the car felt like it was new all over again.

He did notice a slight mileage hit but didn't really care.

Tom

MPLS<MINNESOTA

14. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Ray,

Go ahead and try something else. If your mpg goes down a bit you'll stll be really hard for us to catch up to on mpg!

But I see no noticable mpg hit from my tires! Cold weather, winter fuel, and having to stop like every half mile on most of the smaller roads around here I notice the drops, but not from my Michelin tires (xice and mxv4+).

I have new car code and just got a short 30 mile trip at 58+ mpg on winter fuel. And I was just driving. I figured it was too cold to work at good mpg.

But I assume where you are you don't have the winding roads we have here, and the rain or snow. So the main advantages for you of changing would be:

1 Softer ride.
    2 Quieter ride.
    3 Maybe better straight line tracking.

15. c4

c4 Active Member

They may not be known as LRR tires, but look at their pressure and load rating- they can carry 1168lb per tire at only 35 psi (by comparison, the Hydroedge needs 44 psi for the same capacity), which means that their sidewalls are comparatively stiff and thus good for LRR..

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Due to the prodigious amounts of rain in Seattle, and the good reports on the HydroEdge from folks like Evan and John, I went and replaced my OEM tires with Hydroedges two weeks ago.

No complaints whatsoever. As to MPG hits, difficult to tell; the colder weather and driving short trips on my part make it difficult to gauge how much of an effect the tires are having. Nothing major, at any rate.

17. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

What happens to the new OEM's when you change up to new tires the day you take delivery?

Are they trashed, do you get any $$ for them?

Anyone in chicagoland throwing a set of these out in the next couple months? I'll show up and take them off your hands, stash them in the attic until my originals wear out.

That'll be way better for the environment than if you were to put them in a landfill somewhere. Environment is everything... :)

18. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

My dealer says they will put my new tires on and give me some credit ( a figure yet to be determined) for the "used" OEMs, which will be removed as soon as the car arrives. They will then sell them as used to their used car operation. I may not take them up on this, but it is offered.

19. plasm

plasm New Member

I just had a set of TripleTreds installed today. I went with the 195/60/15s. No discernable difference as of yet, but they look nice =).

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I suspect there's little difference between different brands' top tires. I switched to the HydroEdge because john1701a recommended them and I was too lazy to do the research myself, and I have a very high opinion of John's intelligence and his knowledge of things automotive.

A thread like this, where people rave about how good their tires are, cannot settle the question of which are best, though it could weed out ones that are really bad. You need someone who has used all three on the same vehicle. Or you need to read comparative studies from outfits like Consumer Reports.