1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tripped the Check Engine light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BaSYNji, Jun 21, 2009.

1. BaSYNji

BaSYNji New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Today I installed a speed lock kit from Coastal Electronics...and it's working great. However, I inadvertently tried to start the car before I had re-plugged the bottom gray plug back into the computer. The car would not shut off after attempting to do so 2 or 3 times. When I realized what I did, I carefully re-inserted the gray plug back in it's socket. The car shut of normally, and when I took the car for a test drive, the doors locked at 15 mph as predicted.

However, now I have the Check Engine light on. Is there any way to reset this light? I have about 20K on the car (late 2007 purchase), and just got an oil change from my mechanic (not a dealer). I'm hesitant to drive with the Check Engine light on, but am quite sure I caused it by turning on the power without having the plug in the computer. Any recommendations? I hate the thought of having voiding my warranty by adding this mod. Is that what I've done?

Thanks for any input.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try disconnecting the 12V auxiliary battery for a few minutes, then reconnect. It's probably easiest to disconnect by removing the negative terminal cable where it bolts to the body of the car.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    restart the car 3 times. that should make it go away if it's a stored fault from the attempt to start without being all plugged in.

4. BaSYNji

BaSYNji New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the quick replies. I let the car sit for about an hour, then restarted it again on my way into town, and voila - the Check Engine light is gone...operating as usual. Again, thanks for the feedback. All is proper with the Prius once again!