1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trolls beware! UK Troll jailed for offensive remarks!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Sep 14, 2011.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Love them or hate them, trolls had better watch out, at least here in the UK where one has been jailed for his offensive remarks;

BBC News - Trolling: Who does it and why?

Obviously this guy was more extreme than the friendly trolls we get on here, but jailing someone for such comments? hmmm i'm not sure about that.

2. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It ain't gonna happen here Bra...

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I could submit a few recommendations for the USA to experiment on.

4. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jail is too harsh for even the most extremist troll output; stricter moderation is really all that's needed to cure 90% of the affliction. But I will say I would not be at all surprised if any of our most notorious trolls was never heard from again the day after some atrocity involving firearms made national headlines.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think most forms of trolling we see here at PriusChat are just annoying. But I think the primary issue with the UK jailing is that the individual in question was crossing the line into hate crimes. In the same vein, the UK is jailing some individuals who used social networking sites to incite and organize riots. Both actions are punishable in the U.S.

6. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Thank you Founding Fathers.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater or "Firestone" in a crowded Ford Explorer. Your right to free speech won't be abridged, but your right to free speech won't release from liability for the damage you cause with your free speech.

1 person likes this.
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jailing is a bit extreme, but he could easily be accused of stalking and then be court-ordered to stay away from the Internet without ruffling anyone's feathers.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Double posting to say Here's a more in depth article about this creep. I'd say his own life is his the worst punishment he can get: "The court heard that Duffy, who is unemployed, suffered from Asperger’s syndrome and lived a “miserable existence” drinking alcohol alone at home." - is anybody surprised by this revelation?

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd say give him 30 minutes in a room alone with the relatives of the people he mocked. If they choose to forgive him then fine but if not, then too bad. ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sometimes I think these wingnuts that are so vocal with their nonsense in internet chatgroups are on the Koch brothers payroll. A lot of the extremist stuff is slipping into the mainstream via advertising because of the willingness of the media to accept it--even the NY Times.

12. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And? Why would I want it any other way? Unless you seriously contend that trolls on the internet are endangering lives, I am not sure what your point is.

13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd like the next release of vBulletin has a "Beam Me up Scotty" option for trollers to do as GrumpyCabbie suggests...

More realistic, a database for the truly serial trollers....thinking of one that has been at numerous EV/hybrid sites - shut one site down. If anyone gets on that database, they get infected with a worm that causes his computer OS to troll on the troller. Only resolution is he has to go to an authorized shop to fix it for $5000 and have it in his public record he is a serial troller.

14. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Extreme anti-social behavior, like the guys who real-life troll the funerals here. I do believe something should be done about them. What he did was only possible because of the internet, he wouldn't have dared in real life.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe that is xs650's point. He is talking about trolling to the point where it threatens life and liberty of others, not the trivial trolling we get here, where about the worst is when someone compares our beloved Prius to a trash can hit with the ugly stick.

Tom