1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tropical Storm ETA messed my breaks

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by icyrius, Nov 19, 2020.

1. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Last week I had to drive in the middle of tropical storm ETA here in Florida. Several streets had some flooding but not high enough to reach my door.
    My problem was the next day. When I drove my car and pressed the breaks, there was a loud clunking sound coming from my rear tires.
    It probably lasted almost two days and eventually went away.
    Is there a component in the Prius that gets affected when driving through shallow water? This is actually the second time that happens to me. Except this time the sound was worst due to the raining conditions that I drove.
    Thanks

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Check the caliper sliders for freedom of motion, and lubricate as directed. From experience, if the connectors to rear wheel sensors saw any moisture (like if they were submerged), I would anticipate issues with ABS and VSC systems, which would display on the dash as the eponymous warning lights.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    BAD habit you have there.
    If you can not SEE the pavement through the water, you don't really know how deep it really IS.
    If you keep doing this, eventually you will find a place where it is a LOT deeper than you think and there will be serious damage.

Air_Boss likes this.
  4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    True. I's not an Amphicar, or VW Bug.