1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble Codes C1377 and C1378

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by balmeral, Dec 3, 2017.

1. balmeral

balmeral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have owned my Prius for about 8 years now. The day I bought my Prius the (!) dash light was on but the dealership (ford) I bought it from said it was the tire pressure monitoring system and they cleared it before I left. I lived 3 hours away and it popped back up about halfway home.

I have driven my Prius with this dash light for the last 8 years. About a year ago I had the car at Toyota and they did a complimentary scan of these codes because they thought it might be related to a recall. The codes they got were C1377 and C1378. They said it had to do with the Brake Control Power Supply Module. Here is what the tech wrote.

"Checked Codes. Found C1377 for a capacitor. Checked Fuses. Found ABS MAIN3 Fuse Blown. Removed pass, side trim and trunk trim panels to access the wire harness to the brake control power supply module. Checked for short in the harness front to back and checked connectors. Found short internally in the brake control power supply module. Needs a new BCPSM. No repairs attempted today. "

I changed the ABS MAIN3 fuse and I replaced the Brake Control Power Supply Module. This got rid of the C1377, but the C1378 cannot be cleared and says current. I do have Toyota Techstream with an ODBII connector if anyone could lead me in the right directions.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    C1378 = Capacitor Communication Malfunction

This is the same area as the C1377, so presume it concerns the BCPS. I would take a 2 day subscription to techinfo.toyota.com to access to the diagnostic troubleshooting tree for this code. It probably will not be the easiest fault to track down.

Is there freeze frame data* for this code? If so, is there a sub-code?

*Access freeze frame data (if present) by clicking on the "snowflake" icon to the left of the DTC.
    Techstream Snow Flake Icon.png

SFO likes this.
  3. balmeral

balmeral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to provide a general update to my issue because I think it could be valuable to someone in the future. I have 2 gen 2 prius models and I took the good BCPS and moved it to the car that was having issues and plugged it in. What I originally did NOT do was install it completely, I just plugged in the connector. The problem is that the BCPS requires a ground and if the BCPS is not installed completely, the unit is not grounded. When I removed the bad BCPS and installed the good unit, all codes were gone.

pilotgrrl and davecook89t like this.