1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble filling gas tank (once in a while)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nico3d3, Feb 16, 2023.

1. Nico3d3

Nico3d3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This problem always happen when I fill at Costco, I have trouble filling the tank. It overflow after 2 liters of gas even when the tank was half empty. I close the gas tank door and I push the button to open it again, and then it work. Is this something I should worry about, it only happen when I put gas at Costco?

2. kimonui14

kimonui14 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You may have accidentally hit the latch mechanism inside the fuel compartment with the pump nozzle. Some nozzles have a large rubber flange to prevent gas from splashing back or have large pollution control mechanisms such as found in California that makes it easy to hit that latch mechanism when inserting the nozzle. If this happens the car thinks that fueling is done and that the fuel filler door has been closed. I understand there is something that closes further down in the fuel filler tube to prevent gas from coming back up. Once closed, you cannot put in very much gas and it overflows. Closing the fuel door and hitting the button again resets the system in thinking that refueling is going to happen (this is why on your display it will pop up a message that states it is ready to fuel). I never realized this until recently when I had the same issue and found out why in this forum (there is also something in the owners manual), and this was after owning my car for over five years! I understand later models may have a guard to prevent the accidental hitting of the latch mechanism, but my 2016 does not, so I am now more careful in not hitting it with those larger pump nozzles.

Fubar XIII likes this.
  3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    There is also a certain amount of time between opening the fuel door and getting refueled before that valve further down the fuel filler tube closes. Don't recall, maybe a couple minutes. Of course it is mentioned in the user manual.

4. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Here in the States Costco has started putting the larger collars on their nozzles. Additionally, the length of time it takes to go through all the questions at the Costco pumps will cause the valve to close (even though it is a lot less time than the manual claims). I wait to open the hatch until I am actually ready to put the nozzle in and it hasn’t happened to me since starting to do that.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  5. Fubar XIII

Fubar XIII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like Kimonui above, I've had it happen. I just pressed the release button again & the problem went away.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  6. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Costco has these pump handles that you have push in like a switch. Like some sort of safety thing. It is the only place I have noticed that has that.

ColoradoCrow likes this.