1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble reading dipstick

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ghostrider, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

After changing the oil eveything looked fine. Added 3 1/2 quarts of dino oil and saw no leaks. Made a run to
    the store and after returning I cannot see anything on the dipstick. Finaaly by holding it an an angle in the sun
    I can see a line. Is there something different about reading a Prius dipstick that makes it very hard to see

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Oct 29 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]340364[/snapback]</div>
    The oil is too clean????

I'm just kidding. You got me thinking and I went out to check my oil color. It's very easy to see (a pale orangish brown color), but then it's got 4900 miles on it. Oil change is scheduled for tomorrow.

It's very full. Maybe even a mm over the full "dot". Does the full dot indicate the actual correct 3.5 quarts?

If so, it was overfilled a bit at the last oil change (at a Jiffy Lube), or was still warm enough to be slightly expanded.

Dave M.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always found the dipstick on the Prius hard to read, esp. w/ Mobil 1 since it's so clear. I always considered it a good thing....

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    with brand new oil, the best way to see it is just what you said- reflection. make sure the stick is clean when doing it this way just to be sure.

5. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

Well I am going crazy. I looked again after letting it sit and even with a trouble light its almost
    impossible to see the new oil. Even my old Miata with a round dipstick was easier. I am going to
    open the drain plug tomorrwo and see what comes out and then refill it. There isn't oil on the floor and the stuff doesn't evaporate but I cannot see it worth anything on the dipstick.

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Oct 29 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]340485[/snapback]</div>
    Good call. I hate it when my oil is too clean. <_<

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Oct 29 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]340485[/snapback]</div>
    I agree it's very hard to see when the oil is new but have you tried FEELING it with one of those little sticks with cotton wool on the end (can't remember what they're called). An oil change costs me £25 ($38?) and also uses a bit more of the world's dwindling supply so it seem a pity to change it unnecessarily,

On the subject of overfilling. Mine has been about 1 cm (0.4 inch) over the top level ever since I had the car a year ago. When I mentioned this to a Prius mechanic at a garage he said he'd never heard any other Prius owner complain. The subject of overfilling is not given any emphasis in the manual as one would expect if it were a very serious matter. I suspect that the oil in a vast majority of the Prius on the road is well over the correct level but how often do we hear of a breakdown caused by this? If overfilling really is important Toyota should give much more warning, both in the manual and on the filler cap itself.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 29 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]340379[/snapback]</div>
    That's an advantage for diesel engines: a half-blind one-eyed octogenarian can see the soot stained black oil on the dipstick. :p

Tom

9. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 30 2006, 06:46 AM) [snapback]340560[/snapback]</div>
    My limited experience with Toyota service departments has not been very encouraging. Apparently, the scenario goes something like this: the oil filling apparatus is set to four quarts and automatically shuts off when the incorrect amount (for a Prius) has been placed in the car. It is very disturbing to hear service people (writers and managers) say that, "we do that with all Toyotas." Someone needs to tell these people that the Prius is not "all Toyotas" and that, when the customer asks for 3.5 quarts of oil and that the tire pressure should be 40 pounds front and 38 pound rear the car should not come back with the oil overfilled and the tires at 32 pounds on all four tires. How are we supposed to be assured the best performance from a very refined automobile when we are treated by Toyota representatives as "everyone else."

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try supplying your own oil. I give them three quarts exactly of Mobil 1. No worries. (But I completely agree: this should not be necessary. They should get it right themselves.)

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Oct 29 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]340485[/snapback]</div>
    Please don't waste your time or resources by dumping out new oil. You won't be able to see the replacement oil any easier than what you've got in there now. Try this:

Place a clean tissue on your work bench (floor, whatever). Pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean with a rag, and stick it back in. Pull it out and immediately press it flat to the tissue. You'll be able to see where the tissue soakes up the bit of oil on the stick.... and where it stops.

I don't find the Prius stick any harder to read than any other car with clean oil in it. The only hard part for me is even finding the dip stick on my EV!

12. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Oil level on the dipstick? I've never had a major problem reading it. I use Mobil-1 5W30 and after 5,000 miles it's still clear (GOOD !!). I just hold the dipstick so that the reflection shows the level - usually <¼" below the full mark - just right.

There are good dealers out there! My Dealer's Service Department follows my written "by the numbers" list exactly ( I *NEVER* just say 'Do the 20,000 miler service' or something like that). Rather, I give them a list of exactly what I want done. They use my provided oil (3½ qts Mobil-1 5W30), their oil filter, rotate tires with MY PRESSURE (40/38) and deliver my Prius freshly washed. They have also done the SSC's and TSB's quite well.

If you live in the Dallas TX area and want a recommendation, PM me. The Assistant Service Manager there *KNOWS* the Prius and its needs. I am trying to buy a 2007 Touring and hope I can make a deal with their New Car department, in part because of the good Service Department.

13. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

Well I can finally see the mark and I am not that old... I used 3 1/2 quarts of Castrol 5w-30 and a new filter. The mark is exactly on the full "dot" on the dipstick which is why it is so hard to see. I have used Castrol for years and never had as much trouble seeing a mark with any of weight on any car - even my Miata's with the blaster round (pencil lead diameter) dipstick could be easily seen. I used sunlight or a strong trouble light and it's still hard to see. A better dipstick might have ridges to allow more oil to "stick" and thus stand out.
    Charles - thanks for the recommendation but I am in Austin. I did buy it in Dallas though

14. dumas

dumas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Oct 31 2006, 10:27 PM) [snapback]341702[/snapback]</div>
    That's an intriguing idea. I wonder if roughing it up a little with sandpaper would make it easier to read?

15. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dumas @ Nov 1 2006, 07:33 AM) [snapback]341792[/snapback]</div>
    Another possibility that occurs to me is to sprinkle a very fine powder (talcum?) on the stick before dipping it. Of course this would introduce a small amount of an impurity into the oil. Is there some other dry coating one could put on the stick before dipping? Carbon black such as the deposit made by a burning candle?