1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble with CD player

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by prberg, Feb 7, 2006.

1. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    hi all...

I'm hoping for some insight from somebody here... my stock cd player (non jbl) is not working great. There are some CD's I have (some are burned CD's some are store bought CD's) that the player will not 'take'. The disc gets pulled in... but I hear the motor spinning for about 10 seconds and then it spits out the disc. If I keep trying it might eventually take the disc. Sometimes not. kina frustrating.

I'm getting close to 36k (end of warranty) on my 2004 and wanted to see if it is worth it to take it in to the dealer. Will they say there is nothing they can do? Can they clean it? Will they replace the head unit (I dought it).

would love your feedback.

thanks so much,

Peter B

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to work extra in a CD store through high-school/college when CD players where still newish (and before the ipod craze). So many people used to come in and complain that their CD player didn't accept their CDs that we sat up a side service to try to fix CD players. The two most common things wrong where 1) The lens was dirty and back then you could buy a "CD" with a little brush on it that would spin and clean the lens (or you could take the player apart and clean it even better) and 2) The rubber suspenders the lens rested on (to stay vertical) had dried up making the lens go out of alignment (missing the 'track'), this could easily be changed and back then most if not all CDplayers used the same rubber "mallets" and cost like $0.03 to buy (in bulk). So for $39 for a 1/2 hour service we managed to fix a large majority of our CD customers problems (the ones that we couldn't do the two simple steps above with we had an electronics store next door look at, but most of the time they where then truly malfunctioning). Being a Student it was great money (apart from that most money I made went into CDs) and a fun job!

So, yeah I think they can fix it as most of the times there are simple mechanical problems (rubber suspenders) or simply a dirty lens. At least back then, but I don't think it has chanhed much now. So have your dealer look at the unit as I don't think/know how you can reach the lens in the Prius yourself.

3. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On your burned CDs. If they have not been properly finalized the CD player will not play them. I have actually found that the Prius CD player is very tollerant of burned CDs. I have a friend with a Grand Am from 6 years ago and it won't touch burned CDs (early copyright protection? ;) ) Anyway, all of my CDs in the Prius are burned, I have the originals at home, and they run great. I also have Toast put the CD text on the CDs so that track information will display on the MFD.

But I doubt that you have a problem with your CD player, but rather your burned CDs are probably a huge problem, and your manufactured CDs might not be in good shape, specifically, if the purchased CDs are scratched up, that might be preventing the player from recognizing them and playing them.

However, if this persists, I would definitly get a warranty job done before your warranty is out. In other words, if you can replicate this behavior for a dealer service department using purchased CDs, they need to get it fixed for you under warranty.

4. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the reply... I am having this problem with store bought CD's that are nearly brand new (no scratches, etc). Some CD-R give me problems too but that doesn't worry me so much. It's the store bought CD's which are in great shape that the player won't accecpt. Eventually it will accecpt them (if I try 5 or 6 times) but I'm just afraid this problem might get worse.

I actually took a look at some of the CD's that are the biggest problems.. and I noticed that on the data side near the center of the disc there is a small ridge. On 2 disc's in particular the ridge is bigger than it is on most of my other store bought cd's. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.. just something I noticed.

Well I might try to bring it in. Just sucks that it doesn't happen all the time. I can see getting there and then of course it will work find and the dealer will give me a strange look.

-Peter

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    bring it in before your warranty is up. there's an issue with your head unit. they'll probably replace it, and you definitely want that done under warranty.

definitely. can't stress that enough.

bring in a few CDs that have given you this problem before to demonstrate.

6. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi all.. thanks for the advice. Update.. I took my car into the dealership a few days ago. I briefly explained/showed them the issue and they said they would order a new head unit right away. I was suprised how quickly they offered to order a new unit. I wonder if they knew about some issues with some CD players?

so today it came in and I had them intall it. Only took like an hour and now I've got a new head unit. It works great! All the disc's that wouldn't play in the old unit work great now. Glad I got it fixed under warranty (thanks galaxee). Thanks to you guys and to Toyota for fixing it so quickly/easily.

-Peter B

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks for the update! glad you got it taken care of- always good to hear a happy ending. :)

when a head unit's dead, it's obvious, which is why they up and ordered a new one so quickly.

happy driving!