1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble with install of Clazzio seat covers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Freedom, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Finally received my Clazzio TGB2 back in Sept. YAHOO!!!

Seems this is a 2 person job; no way I can remove the rear seat on my own.

Well, I have called 2 Toyota dealers, they will not do it. I have called 2 upholstery places, neither can give me a price over the phone, they want to see "see what the heck you got there darlin" BAH!

Anyone have any suggestions for RI install?

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got any friends?

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Posting same question in multiple forums?

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Freedom's just another word for..." :)

5. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    xliderider are you suggesting that I should post in mulitple forums? Not sure what you are saying.

Yesterday I thought I'd see how it goes. Started with Passenger, front, seat bottom. First step in the instructions, photo shows something on the floor to undo. I do not have that. Seems like I have to cut elastic straps under the seat? Didn't like that idea, as it means the OEM seat cover is now coming off?

css28, I have no friends who have done anything like this before so they are hesitant. believe me, I asked before I started phoning places to spend more $$$.

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hang in here--I'm sure there are others on the forum who have tackled this. The 2004 thru 2009 cars should all be essentially the same in the details.

Sorry about making fun of your user id. I don't get to quote Janis Joplin very often anymore.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are threads on this subject. There's information out on the internet.
    Try "Search" or Google Clazzio Seat Installation...

Most people LOVE their Clazzio's but I've read different threads about the difficulty in getting them installed. Because of the form fitting nature they aren't "snap" easy. But just do some Prius Chat and Internet due diligence digging. There's plenty on installing Clazzio's. I think there are even a few Youtube video's.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I wouldn't necessarily give up on an upholstery shop. You should be able to find one willing to do it, and one that should be able to do it right, despite any "attitude" you might sense they are throwing your way.

PS.
    Never read anything about having to cut any existing straps, and these are covers that should be going over your existing upholstery so nothing is being removed.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you're talking about installing the Clazzios in your Gen 2 you're in the right place Freedom. We actually ask people do not post the same topic in multiple places throughout the forum. :) I looked real quick and didn't see you posted looking for help installing them elsewhere on the forum so I am not sure what was intended as well.

Good luck with getting these installed, I'm sure you'll get it done somehow. Where there is a will...

9. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No worries, css28, made me chuckle; and now that song is stuck in my head!

I have watched several youtube videos, and also read over several threads on here. Not comfortable "going it alone." Now if one of my friends would get over his hesitation (any one of the 3 I asked), I would give it go. But on my own, nope.

Found this thread re the straps. OK, so seems I need to either learn to stand on my head, OR get a head lamp and perhaps a mirror, to see what is going on under there. Then I have to figure out how to "undo" the straps rather than cut them.
    Questions for Installation of Clazzio or other Prius Seat Covers | PriusChat

#9 Freedom, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  10. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Freedom, what part of the back seat install are you struggling with? You only need to remove the rear seat bottom. The rear seat backs go on with them in place, with the rear seat bottom removed and with the center seatbelt loosened and removed at the base. The rear seat base simply lifts at two fastener positions along the front edge. Forcefully lift up in those two locations then tilt the seat bottom up towards the rear of the car as there are two locating hooks along the back edge to clear. Let me know I just did my install last month. The only thing I'm unhappy about is the terrible fit /design of the console cover.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure how much it would cost you.

But installing the covers is something an upholstery shop can do for you.

You might be getting some "attitude" because they would much rather be re-upholstering your entire vehicle as opposed to installing covers. But if you really find yourself up against a wall, and no friends are willing to help, I'd call around until you found a shop you feel comfortable with.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, must have been a bug in my Tapatalk software, I could have sworn that you had another identical thread in the main forum as well. My bad. :confused:

13. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ahh, no bug with Tapatalk and I think I see what you meant by your initial post now. If I remember correctly, as I move a lot of posts during a day/week/month etc, I think this one started in the main forum and I moved it here. You probably saw it there and then posted right before/during/right after the move.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled Clazzio thread :LOL:

xliderider likes this.
  14. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    M in KC, I am not yet struggling with any of it, I have not started. I think I scared myself into "I can't do this" mode. I likely can do much of it myself. Removing that rear bottom seat is gonna take a second person to help me, though.

We are again headed into the deep freeze, working outside in the driveway on Carmine is just going to have to wait a few more days. Sigh. Thanks, everyone.

15. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I seen your location in your profile and thought immediately, oh I hope he/she is doing this, this time of year in a tempered area. If you haven't watched the install video on Clazzio's website for the 3rd Gen Pri, I encourage you to do that a couple of times. It is virtually the same install for the 2nd Gens. The rear bottom back seat is the same for both Gens. It is just a forceful upward motion with one hand on either side of each retaining clip. Do one at a time. There is surprisingly little rigid structure to the rear bottom seat. And I would also suggest doing the install with as warm and pliable of covers as you can get. It will make things go easier. Which for your area may not be until September LOL. You poor souls in the Northeast have had a terrible winter season.

Again, I would suggest doing one or two panels at a time or stop if/when you get frustrated. I started with the rear seats, then moved to the passenger front and finally the driver's seat. In my situation our rear seats seldom get used so if I struggled we could still drive the car since our Pri is a daily driver. Then as I honed a new skill when got to the driver's seat it would be fitted as well as possible. Don't lose the black installation tool as it is very useful.

Daves09prius likes this.
  16. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    M in KC, I had not found a Clazzio vid using a Prius, so thanks for that heads up! I will definitely check that out.

Yeah, we are thinking this snow will be here for the Fourth of July parades this year! I have 4 small dogs, so I have to keep hauling the snowblower out back to make a bathroom area for them.

I'm also wondering about the perforated middles. With my dogs in and out daily, trips to the beach and such, I often have sand on the seats. Now that is going to slip through the holes and rest on the fabric seats? I can't be removing these covers to vacuum! Should I put a sheet of plastic under there?

Not going to get to enjoy my Clazzios for a few weeks. Has to warm up a LOT out there (12F at 10 AM today).

17. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We have two small dogs as well, but no beach on the left coast of Missouri. I would think plastic, some extra beach towels or something that you could put in and take out easily and launder or throw away.

18. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Omg.... installing the Clazzios in my Gen2 was the easiest mod I ever did to that car!! I had absolutely no problem with the rear seat bottom either - it pops right out very easily.

Freedom - go into this knowing it is super easy, there are no special shenanigans and you arent disassembling the core of the Prius, lol. Take your time and do a nice job getting the wrinkles and excess taken care of. You are going to LOVE those Clazzios, it will transform the interior completely (y)

Daves09prius and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  19. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Priusguy, you should have sold me your clazzio seat covers before you sold your gen 2. Ugh! Haha

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  20. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of curiosity, what color clazzio did you have? please say gray, so I can move on with my life Lol!