1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Troubleshooting the high voltage side of a 04 prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jerry Patenaude, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Jerry Patenaude

Jerry Patenaude New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone have a schematics to check the hight voltage side i have 211volts at the battery the red triangle is on drove the car about 150 miles no problems . Shut the car off and started going some place the Ice did not start like it does as you drive i didn't realize it was running on the battery the battery gage was only showing half charge when i started driving the guy said it was a new battery 2 years ago checked the battery cells dated 2007 looked like a kid put the battery in bolts missing ect.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks Jerry Patenaude Hawthorne Fl

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get dr prius app for your phone

is it out of gas?

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome, Jerry.
    My first suggestion is to click the "Report" button in your original post and ask the moderator to move this to the Gen 2 maintenance and troubleshooting forum (Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting | PriusChat) so people knowledgeable in this area are more likely to notice it.

Next, if you have a red triangle, that means you have one or more of the thousands of trouble codes that a Prius can generate. You'll need to get those read so you know where to start. Dr. Prius, as @bisco mentioned, is one of several phone apps that will connect to a bluetooth or wifi OBDII adapter and read the codes.

As for the "new" battery, it sounds like the guy you mentioned doesn't know the difference between a new battery and a rebuilt one. Most rebuilds fail rather quickly because they are just old modules thrown in to replace failed ones and then another old one soon fails. Doing a really good job on the rebuild makes it better, but it's still several parsecs from new.

We have several members who are real pros at this stuff (I mean literally professional!!), so once you get this moved to the right forum, one ore more will soon come along with better help than I can offer.