1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Troubling Nav discovery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Brianb913, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Brianb913

Brianb913 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is probly old news to most but i was researching the navigation system for the older prius and found out that more than a few people were highly dissatisfied with the system stating that 25-50% of destinations they searched for were either wrong or unable to be found. Still others said they never had a single problem with their navi information.

Now i won't use the navi system much but i have family out of state and when i go to visit them i'd like to be confident in my navi's information. I've also read that the Navi system input is disabled while the car is in motion, while it's a good idea they need to put in an override of some type so customers can take their own responsibility for their actions.

I've also heard that the bluetooth phone capabilities are also locked out while the car is in motion, and on this one it's just stupid honestly. The whole point of hands free bluetooth capabilities is so you CAN drive while talking and not be distracted or lose a hand to holding the phone. What's the point if you can't even use it unless your stopped.

Can the ones who have driven or tested these systems on the 2010 confirm or deny these claims or whether or not the systems have been changed? These are two critical features in deciding what package and options i get. Any information is greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In some newly developed areas, the maps will not be up to date. Consider the data 1 year old when it's released each fall.

The ability to one-touch dial, dial by voice, and answer calls is not locked out while driving. NAV Destination functions are also locked out while driving with the exception of emergency locations and the ability to enter locations via voice commands. This is done for the driver's safety as there's no "good" way to determine if the driver or passenger is the operator.

3. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I never understood locking out the nav controls. You can still change the radio station, change the tone controls, change the pages on the screen, watch the mpg read out. What difference is that from the telephone or nav? Honda lets you use the nav fully even while in motion why can't Toyota?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The OP's worries are mostly off base. Sure, any nav system can have some out of date data, but the Toyota system is no worse than most. The main issue with the Toyota map data is that updates are more expensive than with some of the third party systems.

Nav lockout when driving is annoying, but not a big issue. You can use voice commands for most everything. For me it's strictly a matter of principle. When I have a navigator in the passenger seat, it would be nice for them to push buttons. I understand Toyota's concern about lawsuits, but in my ideal world people would be responsible and we wouldn't have to worry about that sort of nonsense.

As for Bluetooth, I can't imagine where the OP is getting his information. The Bluetooth phone system works great. Some buttons are locked out when moving, but the system is still fully functional. That said, we all should know better than to use a cell phone while driving. All of the studies have shown that hands-free is as dangerous as fumbling with your phone. The distraction comes from talking on the phone, hands-free or not.

In summary, the nav and Bluetooth systems work very well in the current Prius. They are even better in the 2010.

Tom

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1. Sure you can use voice recognition but keep in mind that at the end of inputting a destination by voice, you're still required to hit ENTER to start the guidance which means looking at the screen.

6. Brianb913

Brianb913 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My information comes from a website i found with customer reviews and complaints about the toyota nav system. The issues were they were looking for addresses on streets and neighborhoods that were 15 - 20 years old and still having the nav system give them incorrect information in addition to the usual new neighborhoods not even being on the system at all. One person said their own house which had been there for 50 years was in the wrong location on the nav system. Another was a nurse who did house visits and every night she would have 2-5 houses that wouldn't be found on her system. This sounds pretty severe to me. The voice controls seem to me to be a good work around to pressing buttons and i wasn't aware of the full scope of this feature, so that relieves some of my worries with the bluetooth features. My main concern is still the accuracy of the nav system since i'm most likely only going to use it while i'm lost and unfamiliar with the area i'm in... that makes getting the nav system almost useless if the information isn't correct.

7. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For 1/10 the cost of the Toyota Nav system you can get a great Garmin GPS that you can use in any vehicle, can use while out sightseeing/walking, riding a bike, etc. You can use the thing whilst driving. Map updates are less too--I actually update my maps every 2 years since they are pretty accurate.

The GPS unit I have (Garmin 660) has bluetooth, plays MP3s and Audible books, says the name of the streets, allows custom POIs (points of interest), has traffic integration...it does everything I could possibly want. Thus I will never purchase an integrated NAV system and certainly not at 10x the cost!

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're that concerned, then I'd grab a TomTom. It has MapShare technology which allows you to modify your own map so you don't have to wait for map updates.

9. Brianb913

Brianb913 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the input guys, what i'm probly gonna do is go test drive one and see for myself, type in several common destinations for myself and see if they're all in there properly. If not i'll probly downgrade my purchase and get a garmin or tom tom or just say heck with it completely and get by like i have the last 27 years without one :eek:hwell: :noidea:

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The two advantages to the Toyota system are that it's integrated into the car and has a big screen. These are non-neglibible benefits (i.e. always having the navigation available and having a "clean" look), but it wasn't worth the cost for us. Aside from the two benefits mentioned, the Toyota Nav is inferior to even the cheap Garmin/TomTom/whatever navigation units. We have a Garmin 770 that we bought mostly to drive around Ireland last summer, but now use it pretty regularly back in the US (our Prius doesn't have Nav). I've only briefly played around with the Toyota navigation system, but in my experience, the Garmin maps are more up-to-date than the Toyota maps and the user interface is way better.

11. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1

Aside from the 'integrated in the front dash' aspect, I don't really see any other advantage. There are Garmin wide screen units that have wonderful graphics. The UI is one of the best, almost no learning curve, and the maps are accurate, I've found. AND at 1/10 the price of the Toyota system...other than being forced to take the Nav just to get the solar panel (which should tell you just how much PROFIT Toyota makes on that since they are forcing that option to get the other option), at that price/functionality/limitations, I would never consider Toyota's built-in Nav.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have no complaints about the data in the areas I drive around in (mostly SF Bay Area) on my 06. I don't know what site you're looking at but if it's a crappy site like consumeraffairs.com, I wouldn't be surprised.

However, it is possible that some of the above people live in areas w/poor map data. Toyota/Lexus nav systems IIRC get their data from Navteq (as do Garmin and Magellan, for instance) which many/most critics will say has better and more up to date US data than Teleatlas (the other major mapping data provider).

Instead of repeating earlier info, I'll say that HTMLSpinnr's and qbee42's comments are on the mark.

If you're curious, I wroteup a brief comparison of my Nuvi 350 vs. the nav system in my 06 Prius at http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...dvd-nav-vs-other-nav-system-2.html#post675023. Personally, now w/the low price of PNDs, if I were in the market for a new car, I most likely wouldn't pay the huge price premium for factory installed nav systems. I'd buy a PND instead. The high price of the nav system on the Prius isn't specific to the car or Toyota.

13. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    As for maps, I just got the 8.1 version for my Generation 3 nav in my 2002 Prius, and while the improvements are dramatic for Canada, its still no where near as good as my Chrysler Navigation unit. Plus Chryslers update disc costs $238 while the Toyota one cost me $489!!! Chrysler Navigation units are hundreds of miles better (no pun intended!) and the Toyota system is the only nav I know that suggests making a U-Turn, then drive for about 50 feet then make another U-Turn then continue on the same road!!! Toyota may make the best hybrids, but when the Chrysler Caravan ER-EV comes out this fall, I will sell my Prius (and my Neon!!), as that van will make the 2010 or any Prius for that matter mince meat! Plus I will have a superior nav too! HAHAHA!!!

14. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've used my iPhone to navigate, it uses google maps which are pretty current and has a handy satellite view option. And its "free" with my phone. That's another option. The screen is small but its crisp and clear.

15. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Texas, that's all fine and good as long as you have data coverage. In some areas, I have no reception, let alone data coverage. I'd hope I wouldn't need maps at that moment.

That being said, I do have the Blackberry w/ the same function (Google Maps or Blackberry Maps) that I can use in a backup outside the car, but I prefer the built-in convenience of the Toyota unit despite some of it's shortcomings.

The 2010's Gen6 NAV will be far better than the Gen4 in my 2004 in terms of usability, etc. For those comparing the Gen3 from the first gen, this will feel like a completely new system.

16. YotaCarFan

YotaCarFan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Although the ability to enter addresses as destinations is locked out while the vehicle is in motion, you can specify any of the 6 destinations you previously stored in the quick-access buttons at the bottom of the screen while moving. Also, my understanding is that the system in the 2010 Prius will allow you to select any of your previously entered destinations from a history list while driving, too. And, supposedly, the voice recognition will work better than in earlier Toyota/Lexus navigation systems, so you can (if it actually works as advertised) verbally input a destination by address.

I agree the Toyota/Lexus systems are poor compared to the after-market ones, although the new hard-disk based ones in the Lexus lineup look promising.

17. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And what if you "forget" to put the Garmin in the car- you have the already built in NAV, which has saved my bacon many times. I do not like having other devices sitting around- cell phone, Ipod, and Garmin??? It is so much nicer to be built in. Also if you have the NAV you will eventually get the USB connection (see separate topic).

18. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a GARMIN even though my 2004 has the built in NAV. The built in NAV is nice because of the tight integration. I also like the fact that is has dead reckoning when I'm driving in tunnels or lower levels of bridges (NYC area). What really scares me is the fact that my little GARMIN can be dangerous in the event of an accident and it can injure someone sitting in the car. Can someone tell me why the built in NAVI units are still so damn expensive????

19. green nomad

green nomad Prius Fever!!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Convenience carries a higher premium.. oh, and plenty of people are willing to pay top dollar for that integrated, big screen, always-there feature.

20. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A German institute has simulated a crash from behind at 18mph. The strapped DVD players onto the seat back was unstrapped and flew toward the 2nd row passenger (rear crash). That is with velcro straps. Do you think your portable NAVI setups will be more secured than vecro straps in the event of crash. 18mph is very low speed crash. Think 35mph (how Fed and IIHS test crash vehicles). Objects carry 4X engery at that 2X speed.

Why OE NAVI?
    - "secure" integration (looks better also)
    - more theft-proof (compared to theft-inviting)
    - fast startup time. Any portable units take time to start up. Mine navigon takes about 1 minute
    - deduced(dead)-reckoning. Useful when you are in maintain forest area when visible sat. drop below 4. Your portable will go all over the map.

The OE ones are expensive because of supply and demand.
    All the posts seem to be one-sided supporting portable units. I have one also.
    I just thought that I should provide arguments from the other side.

Personally, aside from the poor cost function settings, I had not many complaints on the Toyota NAVI systems, though I like the Honda/Acura ones better by a large margain. For one, they don't lock users out above 5mph. I don't see Honda/Acura get sued either. Maybe the lower sales recently will make Toyota think twice about the little pet peeves.