1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Truck withdrawl

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tedbramble, Apr 26, 2006.

1. tedbramble

tedbramble New Member

The dealer had my new Prius (the new grey 06) delivered to my work and took my 02 Tacoma away as trade in. I watched it drive away and I'm feeling... bad? Sad? I'm going to miss driving over people with my oversized tires? Image? Ego? I don't know, it's interesting to see how much we relate to our cars. My work people are currently calling me "hippy boy" and ask to see my birkenstocks. Maybe they're just jealous.

Anyway, on to the 405 car pool lane boooooyyyyyyyyy!

Need sharkfin for the antanae. Any leads?

2. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I know I kinda miss having a truck. I have a Toyota truck I drove for 10 years. It was great when I need to haul something for my business.

I'm working on getting a EL Gem truck so I can use that to haul stuff for my business around town!

3. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    A truck sure is handy when you need it. I traded in a Sierra 4x4 extended cab for my Prius.

If figure it's cheaper to rent a truck every now and then when I really need it. However, so far I've fit a lot in my Prius, and do have a VERY small trailer to haul small stuff.

I've realized that I don't need a truck nearly as often as I thought, but there are a few things I miss: daytime running lights, quieter ride, and turn signals in the side mirrors.

I also miss the "safer" feeling of being up high, but not the reality that it's more prone to roll-overs. I certainly don't miss the gas mileage and emissions!

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teddy b @ Apr 26 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]245804[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting post -- thanks. I hope you continue to report your 'conversion' experience ;)

btw, why DID you trade ? If only for the price of gas, then I'd say you are just being honest with yourself that you have made a smart choice, if not the one you *really want*. Give the Prius a chance; very very few people fail to conclude it is a GREAT car.

Oh yeah, spend some of your first month's petrol savings on some birks'. :)

5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a Ford Ranger for 22 yrs. It was strange being so low to the ground in the Prius but after 6 months of driving my Prius I don't miss the pick-up at all. I have been able to get a lot into the Prius (9 ft. tree) and you don't have to worry about stuff in the open bed being taken. I had 4 wheele drive and used it just a few times. Got maybe 9 to 12 miles per gallon. Now I get 55 to 60 and I smile a lot. :D

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teddy b @ Apr 26 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]245804[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    The dealer had my new Prius (the new grey 06) delivered to my work and took my 02 Tacoma away as trade in. I watched it drive away and I'm feeling... bad? Sad? I'm going to miss driving over people with my oversized tires? Image? Ego? I don't know, it's interesting to see how much we relate to our cars. My work people are currently calling me "hippy boy" and ask to see my birkenstocks. Maybe they're just jealous.

Anyway, on to the 405 car pool lane boooooyyyyyyyyy!

Need sharkfin for the antanae. Any leads?
    [/quote]

I have an 04 tundra 2wd quad cab, 18 cty / 22 hwy.
    when I trade it in ill either get the standard cab/long bed or a deisel model,
    the wife drives the prius.. Once you have a truck you know when you dont have it any more you'll need it for something you cant do with the car:(..

7. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At least nobody will ask to have you help them move their furniture!

8. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teddy b @ Apr 26 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]245804[/snapback]</div>

Please post a few pictures of the new gray. I'm curious to see what it looks like. I'm deciding between that and a Silver. Thanks.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rent one whin you need it! You might be surprised how much other stuff can go in the back of a Prius.

10. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    teddy b...

I traded in my Tacoma for a Matrix two years ago and didn't miss the truck at all. My Prius should be here anyday now. The interior cargo space of the Matrix and Prius are close to the same. Like others on this thread, the Prius is very roomy inside. The one forum member, huskers, put a 9 foot tree in his! I've loaded the Matrix with bags of mulch, plants, bricks, and 8 foot pieces of lumber (not at the same time).

Just remember the weight limit for the Prius. 810 pounds I think I've read on Priuschat. The Tacoma, as you know, could take more than that.

The one big benefit of a hatchback, is not worrying about stuff blowing out of the truck bed. I hated that.

11. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Have to admit I couldn't part with my truck but we do use it a lot less. It's 4WD and the only time it goes out of the SFBay area is when we go up to Tahoe in the winter. Otherwise the Prius goes on all summer trips to Tahoe and elsewhere. Still use the truck for local hauling and such but I'm beginning to think I might get by just fine without it.

12. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

There is obviously a strong "truck mentality" that has blossomed in our culture (I've had it, too). But when I got one, it turned out about the only times I needed it were for moving and for taking stuff to the landfill once a year they wouldn't pick up curbside.

Assume you have a pic of it (with you in or next to it?) you can look at, like an "ancestor" relic. Consider it part of your pregression.

Congrats, too. I, too, would be interested in seeing how magnetic gray looks on my monitor. I probably would have bought it if it had been available in January.

13. tedbramble

tedbramble New Member

Thanks everyone for the withdrawl support!

I've already posted a new thread, probably should have done it here, but basically it was "screw the truck." I live in LA/OC, I only used it for lugging surfboards and the random BBQ and friend's furniture. I think I just liked the OC/LA single guy image of having a truck, and for some reason, surfers only seem to have SUVs and trucks. Which doesn't really make sense when surfers are the most hardcore environementalists and get the most direct exposure to crap runoff and toxins.

ANYWAY...

The Prius is the bomb. Never going back to standard engine.

Oh yeah, in response to why I did trade my truck in for the Prius is because of Social Consciousness.

I can't in good faith drive a guzzler (16mpg), yet criticize this administration and feel anxiety over the environment and not do something (beyond beach cleanup and recycle). Moreover, it's a show of support for this new technology and mindset.

It sounds very reactionary liberal blah blah blah but at what point do we actually make a statement with what we purchase? Or not purchase? It's an easy stance to be attacked by the haters, but I'm sticking to my story.

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

A search here will find roof racks that can be attached when required, and removed the rest of the time for improved aerodynamics. That way you get your Prius, stuff, and surfboards, too.

Liberals and Enviros can be reactionary, but in our era the right-wing with it's christian and corporate 'support base', only me me me attitude, and fascist neo-con global leanings, is much more so.

Social Responsibility is looked on favorably around here. Welcome !

15. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I've been driving some thing with a bed in the back since 1968 and at times I've owned 3 trucks. Two years ago I got my Prius and sold my last truck, 2000 Tundra 4x4 Ltd. and said if I need a truck I'll rent one. In the mean time I bought a small trailer to tow behind the Pruis for local trips to the garden supply, dump etc and I've rented a PickUp once for something that wouldn't fit in the Pruis or the trailer. Total cost $19.80 for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Expensive? yes. But less than the depreciation and "wear" from lack of use that I would have incurred by owning it. I'll be renting one again in a month for dump duty with big stuff that won't fit in the trailer.

16. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teddy b @ Apr 27 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]246266[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, totally agree. I look around everyday and see these big F@ck You mobiles driving around on the roads and I just can't take it anymore. Contractors and farmers need a pick-up truck for their business but MOST of the trucks and SUV's driving around on our roads look emmaculate! Never driven off road in their life. Even though I drive a Matrix, I needed more from an environmental/socio-political stand point and am eagely awaiting my Prius which arrived in port on 14 Apr and should be here anyday now. Or so I'm told :)

17. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teddy b @ Apr 26 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]245804[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't make the decision between my 2000 Tacoma and my 2005 Prius. I kept the Tacoma. I've got the best of both worlds now.

18. ralphbongo

ralphbongo New Member

Wow I thought I was the only one. Traded my 2005 4/dr 4/wd V8 tundra for my 2006 B-red package 4 Prius.
    Lets see 17mpg truck or 50+mpg Prius. :p Yes mpg was the big reason at over 100 miles per day I needed an oil well. But I love the Prius and if I need to use a truck then its uhaul.

19. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had an accident w/my old Tacoma but it was an absolute pleasure to trade up from my 2004 Sport Trac (14-15mpg) to the Lovely little Rebel. I never miss the ST. It is truly amazing at how much can be loaded into this car...ground clearance is another thing all together.

20. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

I can say that those symtoms will vanish the first time you go to fill the gas tank. :lol: