1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trucks hold own even as gas rises

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Nov 11, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../711100375/1148

Sigh... yet another one of many who is fine w/13 mpg SUVs, thinks that SUVs are "cooler" and that you "really do need that extra room."

"Dan Mulligan of Cranberry, N.J., didn't need prompting to sell him on a 2007 Dodge Durango with a 5.7-liter V-8 engine that gets about 13 miles per gallon in city driving. His wife uses the SUV to get to work and carry their toddler and 6-year-old.

He considered a more fuel-friendly crossover or minivan, but felt an SUV was "cooler."

"Do you want your family out there in a tiny car versus all those other big trucks? Or do you want them out there in a truck, too?" he said.

"And when you have a family, you really do need that extra room..."

2. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Nov 11 2007, 04:55 AM) [snapback]537931[/snapback]</div>
    Double sigh. Someone needs to show him the stats on the crash/mortality rates in SUVs. Not to mention having too small kids means you must have a 7-passenger SUV.

3. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Nov 11 2007, 01:55 AM) [snapback]537931[/snapback]</div>
    What extra room?

A Honda Odyssey can hold a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood or drywall FLAT on the floor. I'd be willing to bet lunch that the Durango can't do that.

So again, what extra room? :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Nov 11 2007, 02:48 AM) [snapback]537943[/snapback]</div>
    I was bored and checked. From Honda and Dodges sites:

Odyssey - cargo room (behind 1st row seats) - 147 cubic feet
    Durango - cargo room (behind 1st row seats) - 102 cubic feet

Wow! The minivan has 50% more cargo room!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "And when you have a family, you really do need that extra room..."

Wow... their baby must take a crap every 5 mins to need that space for Huggies/Pampers.

My uncle/aunt have a 5 year old daughter. They got around perfectly fine with a 14 cu. ft. Honda Accord. They've even taken a few road trips.

Maybe they should stop feeding their baby coca-cola and dominoes.

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, but look at the source of the article.... My impression what that LDV sales were down but that SUV sales, particularly full sized SUV sales were down considerably.