1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

True or False for factory integrated Sirius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mike_m, Jul 20, 2006.

1. mike_m

mike_m New Member

I read the sticky from Geogeek, and I'm still not sure. I already had my Sirius installed before the fix came here. I ended up going with the Exact Vizor in the car. The audio guy at the Toyota dealership, said unless I have JBL, and NAV, the integrated system will not work properly. I have package 5, so there is no NAV. I still need to get a FM modulator, he tells me because of occaisional static. He says that becuse my Sirius unit is not hooked to the radio direct, is why I have that problem. Any help would greatly be appreciated. If I can install the integrated unit with my #5 I will glady do it. If so, where would I get one also?

2. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Jul 20 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]289640[/snapback]</div>
    How do you get audio out of the Exact Visor?

The best way is with an audio cable to the AUX-In in the center console. You may notice static there. The solution for that is a line isolation filter between the audio cable from the Sirius receiver and the AUX in plug.

an alternative is to get the DICE or VAIS interface to install a second AUX-IN to the radio. Plug the Sirius Audio out into the interface.

The second best way is to use a wired FM Modulator relay cable from the Sirius Receiver to the Antenna in the Prius behind the radio. When you use this method, you tune to the FM Modulator frequency, but only that signal is received by the Prius Radio eliminating static because the outside radio antenna is switched off while the sirius radio is on. Good quality sound, but not as clean an installation as using an AUX-IN.

The third way is to use a Cass. Adapter to put sound into your radio if your Radio has a Cass deck.

The lowest quality interface is broadcast FM from your Sirius. This can have a lot of static.

There is still not a Factory Sirius solution for the Prius. The SiriusPrius uses a Sirius receiver for the Toyota Solara. as you read in the sticky, there is now a modificatin to the interface cable to allow better impedence matching with the Prius Radio eliminating the static.

There is a rumor there will be a "Factory" Sirius solution for the Prius by December. There is also a rumor that Toyota will be dropping all Sirius support.

3. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Jul 20 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]289687[/snapback]</div>

I tune to 88.5 FM. I have tried other stations too. Is that why he says I need a FM modulator? I am totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff. I didn't install the system I have now.

4. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Jul 20 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]289691[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with PriusInsight on just about everything they said, but they left out what I consider the
    best option.....which is buying the factory integrated Sirius Tuner directly from an online Toyota
    parts department. I've seen several posts here on PriusChat indicating that the parts can be had
    for about $170 for the tuner and $70 for the "fit kit" (read: wiring harness). This is the same parts that
    Factory Interactive is selling (along with an instructional DVD, new antenna, & some install accessories)
    under the "SiriusPrius" name. This option has the added benefit of giving you the artist/title info right on your Multi function display (albeit limited to 10 chareacters), and it allows you to control the functions of the tuner with both the steering wheel controls and the touch screen.

If you're not confident doing the install and making the static fix yourself,
    then paying the extra for the Factory Interactive kit may be worth it......folks here on PC have been very complimentary towards Jon August (the Factory Interactive guy) and his product.

With regards to your current setup. There are two basic types of FM integration. It sounds like
    the type you have is the FM transmitter type....that's why you're tuning in to 88.5 and receiving it just like a radio station....this type will be limited (in sound quality) to sounding like the best received FM station.
    The second type is the FM-modulator route. This method actually taps in betewwn your factory antenna wire and the factory radio. This has the benefit of being "hard-wired" to your radio's tuner, thus eliminating the chance for any signal loss by broadcasting over the air. You'll still have to "tune in to a station, but the sound quality is supposedly better. In my opinion, neither of these FM routes is as good as what you get with my first suggestion (Factory Sirius tuner).

Forget what anybody has told you about having to have JBL.....that's BS.
    I've got an '06 Package 4 with the base radio (no nav/no JBL) and the factory tuner & fit kit
    for the Solara/Avalon/Land Cruiser/Scion xB works fine.
    Look for Toyota Part #PTS31-00052 (tuner) and Part#PTS31-00051 (fit kit).
    Once you apply the fix (in the Sticky) you won't have static & it'll work fine.
    I would suggest not using the supplied antenna (a huge wedge shaped deal meant to go inside the glass).
    Get yourself a cheap external magnetic mount from Best Buy for $37.99.....it'll give you better reception
    and it plugs right into the tuner.

Sorry for the wordy post.

Cheers,
    Matt

5. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Jul 20 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]289719[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree with Matt aka GeoGeek...

Both the broadcast and the directly wired FM are "FM Modulators". The directly wired version is much higher quality as it eliminated interference from other FM broadcasts and the interference of the low power signal from the sat receiver to the external antenna.

In our 2000 Insight, we installed a wired FM Modulator for an XM2GO. before the wired FM Modulator, we used a Cass. adapter. The broadcast FM modulator was horrible with very poor reception and lots of static. The Direct wired FM to the antenna connection solved all of the sound issues.

There is also the option of using an auxillary in adapter. This will be of higher quality sound than wired FM. It is more expensive since the cost of the VAIS or DICE interface is about $200.

I never mentioned the SiriusPrius as the original poster already had a Sirius Exact Visor... The SiriusPrius is a very good solution. With the Impedence matching modification, the static issues have be solved.

I agree with using a low profile antenna instead of the Sigma Antenna that mounts to the windshield. You can mount it on the roof or I would suggest mounting it on the front dashboard.

I used a SiriusOne just sitting on the dash with a low profile antenna on the dash and it worked great! I would suggest you mount it near the front of the dash near the windshield near the location used by Toyota for the XM antenna location in the new official dealer installed XM kit.

With our insight, we had to mount our antenna on the DASH since the insight has an aluminum body and the magnetic roof antenna could not be mounted.

6. troe

troe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Jul 20 2006, 05:26 PM) [snapback]289640[/snapback]</div>
    This company has a kit to put a Sirius in that interfaces with the MFD and no Modulator required.
    https://secure.factoryinteractive.com/shOrder.html - 8k

7. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Jul 20 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]289719[/snapback]</div>

Thanks to all!

Matt, I ordered the whole kit from Jon at Factory interactive. He has actually implemented the static fix to the unit before install. I'll let you know after it gets here. I hope this works good.

8. mike_m

mike_m New Member

It works! The integrated unit I bought from Jon is crystal clear. I had the Sirius tech at Toyota install it for me. When he saw it, he still insisted that it wasn't compatible because I didn't have NAV. I showed him the static fix that I printed from here. He had me follow him to his toolbox, where he showed me an envelope full of jumpers to fix static. He already knew, how to fix that. I really felt unsure then. He still insisted that it wouldn't work. I was persistent, and he agreed to hook it up anyway. Well, he was scratching his head when we got a signal. He said that was one for the books for him, as he installs about 300 units per month for Totota. Anyway, he didn't need my instructions, and completely installed the whole unit in about 30 mins. He put it under the passenger seat, and only took out the seat, glove box, and 1 AC vent. I am very happy, with integrated Sirius radio, and controls from steering wheel, and MFD. Wahoooooooooooooooooooo! :D Thaks again to everybody for help. Had I listened to Toyota, I would have kept that ugly unit suction cupped to my windshield forever.

9. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Aug 3 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]297439[/snapback]</div>
    Glad to hear everything worked out. Sometimes (most times) persistence pays off.
    Enjoy the sound.......I hardly ever listen to FM anymore.
    Regards,
    Matt