1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trunk door popping noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by faigor01, Jun 13, 2005.

1. faigor01

faigor01 New Member

I just bought a 2004 Prius from a body shop and it has a salvage title. Just want to verify the behavior of the trunk door with you original owners.

When I open the trunk by pressing on the release button, it makes a pretty loud POP noise. The POP is louder than other hatchbacks i have driven. Is that normal?

Also, I read the thread regarding the need to slam the trunk door hard. I have no problem in doing so in general. But whenever the door is closed half way, i can't really push it all the way to close. I have to open it up and close it again.

2. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do get a popping noise when opening but it is not loud. I do have to shut it harder than other cars. I usually push down on the license plate because the spoiler feels like it is going to break off.

3. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is some type of mechanical release that makes a noise, like a solenoid of some sort triggering the release of the latch, Danman32 may know exactly how this works but it does make an odd noise. I just don't know if I'd call it 'loud

for closing, use the hand hold inside the hatch and if you have to push on the toyota symbol to close. it is a solid surface that will keep you from damaging the paint. Say if the license plate scratches the paint and you don't see it, but the elements do.

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put foam tape behind my license plate to protect it. I noticed there is not a plastic holder like on the front and was worried about vibrations of the license plate on the paint.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The latch opener is electric with an emergency manual override that's difficult to get to with the hatch closed. That's why Toyota put jumper terminals under the hood.
    A POP is a good word for the noise of the latch being released. Almost the sound of the pop you can make with your finger in your mouth, but more muffled.

The hatch always seemd to me that it would be sensitive to alignment for proper latching and unlatching, but then most car doors would be.