1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trunk hatch dimensions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ghunter, Jun 21, 2005.

1. ghunter

ghunter New Member

My Prius is still on order (sigh) and I'm scoping out audio upgrade options already :mrgreen:

Can someone tell me the dimensions of the trunk hatch? I'm wondering what all of the options are for subs in there. The Kenwood SW1 seems to be the easiest and perhaps the cheapest, Bazooka 6" tube would probably sound better but take up valuable trunk space, custom sub+box would probably be too expensive given the limitations of the rest of the system.

Thanks!

Graham

2. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

I don't quite remember the dimensions but it's fairly large. One thing to consider is the weight and it's impact on MPG. I've noticed that with our sub-box installed we get about 2-3mpg less then without. We've got two JL 10W1's in a 1.5Cb/Ft sealed enclosure made out of 3/4" MDF. Combined the extra audio equipment probably weighs 50-75lbs.

A bazooka would probably work fine, and I've read a lot of people installing a Kenwood Mini-sub in th eluggage compartment without ill effect. As soon as I have time I'm going to build a fiberglass stealth box to fit into the luggae compartment too.

Good Luck.

--GD

3. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

i read on a prior post:

"The underhatch compartment is roughly 33" (W) x 12" (D) x 5" (H)."
    fyi - The Kenwood KSC-SW1 dimensions: 15.75" (W) x 9" (D) x 3.75" (H).

check out my thread on my installation of the Kenwood unit with info that might be helpful to you:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/installed-...ent-vt9711.html

4. ghunter

ghunter New Member

Thanks, Sparky. That height of 5" pretty much limits those of us who want something hidden to the Kenwood or Clarion ready-made models.

I think it will be the Kenwood for me, thanks for the install info! (Dealer says I'm still a month out... grrr!)