1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

trunk leaking rainwater

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by thakur6156, Dec 10, 2011.

1. thakur6156

thakur6156 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After a heavy rain, my prius 2010 IV leaks water into the trunk, on the passenger side about 3 inches behind the passenger seat. The car seems dry when I enter, but when I move the car, it drips for about a minute and is done. The water seems to be coming from the gap between the plastic panels that ring the trunk hatch on the passenger side. In this case it is the plastic panel at the very top of the hatch.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I took it to the dealer before, and they said they cleaned out something and did not charge me for it, but it happened again after a few months.

Before this all started, the windshield wiper spray nozzle had some how detached itself from the its metal mount in the rear. Perhaps a squirrel pulled on it or something? It was a spring plastic clip and I pushed it back in, and it has not come out since. I can't tell if water is coming in the plastic section from the spayer, ( and I should silicone it in) , or if water is getting in in some other place, and if I should bother taking it to the dealer again.

I would appreciate any advice. Its only about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water after a big rain, so I am not too worried about water damage.

Thanks

2. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pics of the area.
    Also is the car parked on an incline?

My old car would fill with water in the rain gutter around the trunk if I parked it downward in the driveway and leak in.

3. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What did you ever find out about this? We have been having big rains from the hurricanes/tropical storms around the area the last several weeks, and we had a big one Sunday while I was away from home for 3-4 hours with my car parked out in the rain. When I finished what I was doing, I went out and opened the hatch to put something in it. I had water all over the tops of the rear seats, all over the retracted cargo cover, and all over the items behind the rear seats in the hatch... So, it had to come from the top of the hatch somewhere. Just wondered what you discovered when you dealt with this before! Thanks!

4. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thread bump. For those with the problem, I found that in my friend's instance, the leak was coming out of the rear washer nossle. If you pull out the interior panels at the top of the hatch (no tools required to pull out), you'll see the clips that holds down the rear washer jets to not be clipped down properly allowing a slight gap through the rubber seals.

5. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    this happened to me today, will be ordering another rear nozzle. anyone have the part number for confirmation?