1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

trunk won't open

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by southjerseycraig, Dec 19, 2013.

1. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The driver side door opens, but no matter what I do, the trunk won't open. I've tried pressing the fob a few times, and nothing happens. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1) Key fob battery - does it do it with both fobs or only one fob? You may want to change key fob batteries if they have not been changed.
    2) 12V battery - test the 12V battery. The door locks are one of the first symptons of a discharged 12V battery.

southjerseycraig likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could it be frozen? we had an ice storm over the weekend and my doors were frozen solid. rain got into the gaps and froze everything shut.

4. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Assuming you have already replace the key fob battery, try below.

Can you open it from the outside with your hand (with key fob close by)?
    If not, you may have to open the trunk from inside. I had to do it once because the 12V battery ran out of juice one day. It was not an easy task if you are big in size. You'd have to fold down the rear seats, climb to the cargo area, lift up the flip up cargo floor, remove the cargo tray before you can gain access the opening to the manual release.
    Once you had it opened, you can try open and close a few more times with the key fob in hand again.
    Hope you can figure out what's wrong.

5. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thank you all for your help. By the time I got it to the dealer, the problem had stopped. (I hate intermittent flaws!) The service person assured me the key fobs were fine. It wasn't that cold a morning, but maybe something freaky happened. Again, thanks to all for your help.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a 2010.

This means you need to think about getting a new aux battery...

OR.....a hammer.

Your call....

7. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Car has 46,000 miles on it. Would it be normal for me to need a new battery at this point?

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Joisey?
    Probably.
    The battery is horribly weak in the G3.
    Mine went Tango-Uniform at 25K after a year and a half, and I live in a MUCH more battery friendly climate!
    Pay a little extra for the Optima Yellow top and for GOD's sake don't let the dealer do it!
    If you can't DIY, then see about getting a friend or an independent shop to do it.

I'm sure that the Garden State has one or two Prius tinkerers.

If the problem with the hatch recurs, you will probably only have replaced the battery a few months before it failed completely anyway, and it's winter up there.

Read in the manual and walk through the steps necessary to jump start the G3.
    Remember!
    Polarity is important, current isn't.
    You're not Jump Starting the car.....you're booting it up.
    I think that you could do it with "D" cell batteries, and I'm certain that you could do it with a 12v DeWalt battery pack!!!
    Just make sure that you do it right if you have to, which is why you should review the manual BEFORE you have to.

Good Luck!

9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    While you were driving to the dealer, the Aux battery topped-of its power by the Hybrid Synergy Drive system, a surface charge as it is call.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    '10's are notorious for bad battery. wouldn't hurt to test it.

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I was concerned that my friend BISCO was not chinning in.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for keeping an eye out mb!:p

13. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    battery DOESN't care about miles driven, neither the 12V nor the HV ... they care cycles over discharge(s) and temperature extrems 12V aux battery 3 years could be the limit ... your low mileage also indicates that the 12V was not regularly recharged ... in cold days it takes almost an hour to get fully charged by driving from a low SOC (like 3-4 days on the driveway or something was on)... and this is NOT good for the 12v battery simply

I agree with the recommendations at least had it tested and likely to be replaced.

14. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I agree. The problem went away because the battery recharged while drivin to the dealer. Dying batterys can seem to hold full charge for a short time when recharged.

15. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I should have said this to the dealer, but let me ask you:

when I got into the car yesterday morning, I had no trouble opening the locked driver's door or starting the car. I turned on the rear and front defrosts, and then went to the back of the car. When the trunk wouldn't open, I touched the unlock on the key fob. Nothing happened, not even a red light. I went inside to get the other key fob. Nothing happened.

Are you sure that this is a 12V battery problem, or could it be that the key fob batteries are failing? thanks in advance for your comments.

16. BreakingPrius

BreakingPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    It sounds like the sensor or a wire ground running to it is loose...

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you did not see a red light on the key fob when you pressed the remote button then that is an indication of a failed fob battery.

18. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's what happened today (it is 45 degrees). The trunk opened normally this morning (I drove for 25 minutes the evening before). Six hours later, I was "beeped" into the car,but the trunk would not open. I pulled out my keyfob and pressed a few times. I saw blinking lights on the car and the fob, and the trunk would open. This pattern persisted the rest of the day. If I tried to get into the trunk right after I had driven, I was OK. If the car had sat, then I needed to press the keyfob to get in.

That makes me think it's a battery problem. But on the other hand, everything else is normal; the car starts fine. What do you think?

19. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Most likely a failing 12 volt battery. It could also be a faulty sensor. The sensor is located under the bumper vertically below the rear hatch lock. It's possible that at some stage moisture has entered the connector. It could be the lock itself with an intermittent fault. All this is guessing of course.:(

20. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went back to Toyota today. It was a warm enough day that I had no trouble with the trunk. They pretty much threw up their hands. But I did ask them to check the battery, and they said it was fine.