1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trunk won't stay shut or lock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by halleyscomet, Jun 1, 2008.

1. halleyscomet

halleyscomet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi my 2008 pkg #6 is having some trouble.
    Yesterday I went to close my trunk after putting in a cooler (going shopping) but the trunk would not lock, the trunk stays shut but will not engage and lock.

Any suggestions? If I can't get this figured out I will have to take it to the dealer tomorrow morning. I have to run some errands today and worry about the trunk being unlocked (let alone the whole car, since the trunk won't engage the doors won't lock either!)

Help!!!!!!!

Hayley

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    if the car is shut off, all doors are closed and you're outside of it and hit the lock button on the fob, does that long, annoying beep go off? Is it possible that something is near the thing that the lock locks down on? Anything interfering with the trunk door anywhere?

3. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi Haley, just went out and tried the hatch release with it open. The black button is a switch that activates a solenoid to release the hatch. You should hear a thump where the latch enters the deck as you push the button. If not, perhaps a senior member can steer you toward a fuse. And, take a flashlight and see if anything was shoved in the latch hole, paper, coin, it doesn't take much to jam the mechanism. Good luck, Jerry

4. halleyscomet

halleyscomet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nothing blocking the locking mechanism, trunk has nothing in it, on it, or around it.

When I hit the lock button with the trunk lid closed there is a long beep. If I hold down on the trunk it will stop.

I went shopping yesterday would not work anywhere, home, mall, store, etc...

HELP, I hate my baby being less than perfect!

Hayley

5. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    If you would, open the hatch and press the open handle, just to let it activate without the wire loop in the latch.
    Sounds like the switch that signals a locked hatch may need adjusted or the latch needs adjusted. I'll take another look at mine. Jerry

6. halleyscomet

halleyscomet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    my hubby and I looked at the lock, it's not the power door locks they work, the locking mechanism does not work, I think it's just plain old broke.

(the pwr door locks are on the same fuse and they work)

7. halleyscomet

halleyscomet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    the trunk lid goes down but does not get held down by the locking mechanism...

ie the hook on the lid, does not get held down by the locking mechanism on the car.

8. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Just pulled the plastic cover off the latch...3 bolts hold the mechanism in place and are used to adjust the latch.
    I don't suggest adusting it unless you have someone who is familiar with the adjustment of trunk and hatch mechanisms.
    Should be an easy fix at the dealer. Jerry

9. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Based on what's been posted so far, it appears that you have a loose or broken part in the trunk latching mechanism. Take it to your dealer ASAP. It surely is covered by the warranty.

10. halleyscomet

halleyscomet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I will drop him off in the morning.. thanks for all of your help! We really appreciate it!!!

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you ensure the hatch light is off, so that you don't run down the 12V auxiliary battery.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rich Bireta

Rich Bireta New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the same problem on my 2011. I would close/slam the hatchback and it would not "catch". Solution: I removed the plastic cover and plastic covering piece that protect the latching mechanism. I then used a 10mm socket wrench to remove the 3 bolts holding the latch to the frame. Turning it over it was obvious that there was a 1/8th inch diameter piece of gravel preventing the mechanism from latching.
    Removed with needle nosed pliers. Three 10mm bolts reinstalled to hold the latch. Reinstall two pieces of plastic trim. Good as new!

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

14. Billyjoel

Billyjoel New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thank you! Had the same issue, took the actuator out and found a lil pebble in the way. Took the pebble out and re installed everything. Now it works just fine again. Saved me so much money and time!