1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trunk

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cheap!, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

A funny thing happened to me at the store. Let me back up first. I have always wondered why the trunk area had these two bumps, one on each side.
    [attachmentid=5270]

I mean I always know the floor could do this.
    [attachmentid=5271]

Or even this…
    [attachmentid=5272]

But I never know it could do this
    [attachmentid=5273]

And this…
    [attachmentid=5274]

Now I can drive around with a stain proof area in the back of my car and keep it coved so no one can see. Wow only seven months to figure that out.

Attached Files:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you have been enlightened lol.

3. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 12 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]331850[/snapback]</div>
    Hopefully that was seven stain-free months!

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Oct 12 2006, 07:21 PM) [snapback]332035[/snapback]</div>
    Almost.

5. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am confused....you didn't know you had the cargo cover for 7 months?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, he didn't know the floor could fold.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm tellin' ya man, even after more than two years of ownership, I'm still learning new things. Now, I knew all about the cargo hold and all the ins-and-outs back there, but every once and a while there's a little nugget that really catches me off-guard.

So it doesn't surprise me that there's something after only seven months that you are just now discovering.
    In my opinion, it just shows that the beauty of the Prius is not only in the electrical and mechanical systems, but also in the simple little every-day things that remind you that while someone was figuring out how the power-split device and planetary gears were going to work someone else was really thinking about how humans are going to use the car.

Brilliant!!

8. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 12 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]332053[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, me too. I discovered a leaky diet Mountain Dew can in a pack after a few weeks of riding around in my trunk. The can, that is. I never ride in the trunk if I can help it.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Oct 12 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]332082[/snapback]</div>
    ...or leak, I assume.

And if you're excited about that... you should try removing that rigid piece completely. You end up with significantly more cargo space, and the same "anti-stain" situation you now know and love.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 12 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]332119[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, great point, D. Someone some time ago indicated that they completely remove the hatch-back floor completely when they go grocery shopping and put the paper bags in the recession. I can imaging that with the relatively flat floor and the walls it would do a pretty good job of holding the bags up and keeping them in place.

11. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Yes my point was that this is a beautifully designed car. Yes you can improve on anything, but the fact that there are so many things well thought out overshadows the things they missed. Like a plug, or a pop-in/pop-out battery system like the way we use rechargeable AA batteries would be nice. All in all I have discovered I have way to much time on my hands when it comes to hobbies for some reason I never have enough time for cleaning the house.

Owning a Prius is a sickness. I guess it is the same as Survivor is for some other people. Just this morning I pulled into work climbed out of the car slid the driver’s side seat all the way back just to look for connector IQ1. As I picked up myself off the concrete in my parking garage I drifted back to "Non-Prius world" and I thought what I sight I must have been....On my knees with my head in the foot well. I hope nobody saw me I thought to myself. I hope nobody discovers my dirty little secret...my addiction to my car. I just never know that a Prius addiction would cause me to find myself lying in the gutter.

Note to self…good title for Priuschat thread, “When did you figure out that you were addicted to your Prius? “

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 12 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]332119[/snapback]</div>
    I did that more than a year ago. I also bought a piece of industrial/commercial grade rubber backed carpet, cut it to shape to fit into the bottom of the tray. That keeps it from rattling/muffles it. Also keeps stuff from sliding around so much when they sit in the bottom.

and yea, the amount of cargo room gained is pretty tremendous.

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Even better liner is the rubber mesh you can buy for toolboxes. I have a piece cut a foot longer then the width of the the rear carpet on my anti-Prius. Fold 6" under the carpet on each side and it stays in place, and prevents things from sliding around back there when I play "race car driver". ;)

14. harper42

harper42 Member

I've got a question for you.. Did that black mesh net come with your car? I don't have one, but I wish I did!

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Oct 15 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]333012[/snapback]</div>
    The Cargo Net is a Toyota accessory which is sold by most Toyota dealers.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget that the black plastic bin actually has a proper way of insertion. Every time I go to the dealer, the bin is just sitting there in the cavity. The front (HV battery side) and rear (bumper) sides can "hook" on to the respective edges so that the bin is secure and doesn't move or rattle.

17. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yikes. Even after a year-and-a-half with my Prius, I had no clue the panel could fold like that! :blink:

And, there's a stand there to keep it up? :eek:

OK. I'm thoroughly embarassed now. :huh:

18. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kinghuang @ Oct 15 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]333038[/snapback]</div>
    A stand to keep it up? Now I'm confused. I was wondering how one could keep it up. How do you do that?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Oct 15 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]333062[/snapback]</div>
    I'll answer my own question. Should have known. Prius has it all. There is a built in stand for holding it up, there on the left.

19. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 12 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]332075[/snapback]</div>
    How about sharing some of those little things you have discovered. I've only had mine a couple of months now, and I keep discovering things. Like that handle in the hatchback door. Just found that. And the extra electrical plug in the center storage between the front seats. What are some of the other things I probably haven't found yet???

20. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Oct 15 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]333073[/snapback]</div>
    Let's see... you've probably found the "power" button by now.....

Sorry.

Here's a serious one: have you discovered the "Kleenex" drawer at the base of the center console?