1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trustworthy Service Department on LI?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Agontyr, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Agontyr

Agontyr New Member

all. New to Prius ownership and to PriusChat. I'm looking for a reliable, honest, knowledgeable, etc., etc., etc. service desk at a LI dealer. I bought the car at Neil Toyota in Lynbrook, but I won't be taking it back there for service. I'd rather drive a few extra miles and get good service than save the gas and end up dealing with people who are clueless (like Neil Toyota). I live in Brentwood , but I travel around the Island a lot and can take the car wherever it's best to go. I'll be doing my own oil changes and such, but taking the car in for the 15K/30K type of checks.

I'm also interested in buying some accessories directly from Toyota and I'm wondering which dealer is best stocked and most reasonably priced.

Any recommendations?

I also note that you guys meet periodically at Dave & Busters out on 110. Is that an open meeting or is there an initiation and secret handshake to get in?

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Agontyr. I've done my steering wheel recall and one oil change/inspection (at 30k) with Millennium Toyota in Hempstead. Both with satisfy results. My steering wheel is straight, and my oil was not over fill. It was right on the full mark.

mrbigh also had his steering wheel recall done at Millennium and seems to be happy with it.

For accessories, you can buy them on this site or on ebay. Dealers usually charge a lot more. I got TWO OEM cabin air filters on eBay for $19. Dealer wants $23 for ONE.

As for the meeting, we meet up once in a while to meet new owners and just hangout and talk. No secret hand shake needed... :p Contact usbseawolf2000 (Dennis) to have your email added to his contact list.

Welcome to the club!

3. RobN

RobN New Member

Definately don't use Smithtown Toyota for service. Still trying to get my stearing wheel straight and I guess 4 quarts of oil is the only setting on their filling machine. :angry:

If you follow the book that came with your Prius, the only service you really need is oil changes and filters.

Robert

4. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Agontyr @ Aug 10 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]300850[/snapback]</div>
    I had my '99 Solara serviced at Penn Toyota in Greenvale (Northern Blvd just west of Glen Cove Rd) from time of purchase until I traded it in for the '06 Prius. No complaints, but I don't know that I was awed by them.

I bought some all-weather mats from toyotaparts4u.com, which is part of Toyota of Concord (North Carolina). With shipping, their price was $15-$20 lower than the least expensive local dealer I called (including tax).

5. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 10 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]301253[/snapback]</div>
    Westbury Toyota seems to have a good facility, with trained Prius techs. I've only had some accessory stuff done there so far so I can't provide a positive reccomendation. They are part of the Pensky organization though.

6. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Aug 10 2006, 11:02 PM) [snapback]301283[/snapback]</div>
    Westbury is where I bought my '06, and the jury is still out.

I've had two experience with them so far.

One was the day after purchase. The pressure warning light went on, and it took them about 1-1/2 hours to fix it (I'd checked the tire pressure). Actually, the same light had gone on when I picked up the car (blinking that time, steady when I brought it back), and they'd supposedly taken care of it.

Second was a couple of days later. My package had included a cargo net, and I didn't see one anywhere, so I drove back and spoke with the salesman. Turned out the hooks hadn't even been installed, so he offered to drive it over to service. I took it instead. A guy put in the floor covering and gave me a tag for the service rep (the reps are divided into color "teams": green, red, blue, with two reps per team). I don't recall the team he told me meet with, but no one was there. I waited around for 15-20 minutes, being told "they'll be right back."

Finally, I was taken care of. They didn't seem very busy, but the job (which I'd been told would take a few minutes) took about an hour and a quarter.

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Hi Agontyr, welcome to the LI Prius owners group section. We will have a reunion on Sunday, Aug 13th in the "Grande" parking lot of D&B in Farmingdale by noon time, a little bit of chat, comments on new additions and improvements and later an snack or lunch in the D&B lounge. You are welcome to join and meet us.
    This is the thread that we started this month.
    Horacio

8. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

We've used Stevens Toyota on Jericho Turnpike...town of Huntington...on and off for about 28 years....My other Toyotas were serviced mainly at our local mechanic....since all they needed was routine service for the life of the car...

I love the efficiency at Stevens...don't know if the others are that way...we still have a bumper problem to figure out...but they were kind enough to send someone from service department when I had a tire blowout a few miles from service...I only had 20 miles on the car.

Since the 06 didn't come with Roadside Service...and since I didn't have my Allstate card with me.....I called Stevens...and they sent someone out to change the tire, no charge.

I deal with Larry there...he his marvelous!!

Although it was John who sent the truck for tire change.

terri

9. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We've been using Sunrise Toyota in Oakdale for the past 17 years, but have yet to have the Prius in for service. We got 7 "free" oil changes when we bought the car - first test will be how much oil they try to put in :rolleyes:

10. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyconrad @ Sep 19 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]321712[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not going to wait and see...I'm simply going to tell them to please not fill to line....

When I fill up at the gas station, I also tell them not to top it off....

t

Seven free oil changes would put me into 10 years from now! LOL.

:D

11. nyconrad

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Sep 19 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]321819[/snapback]</div>

Oh, don't worry - I'll have my eye on them. I'll first check to see what they say is the proper amount before I climb all over them! :angry:

12. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Everyone going for the oil changes at 5K, or an earlier interval?

I'd gone to Penn Toyota for so many years I never really saw another place. I've only had a little "new buyer" work done at the new dealer (Westbury)--the low tire pressure light was coming on, they forgot to install the cargo net--so the experience has been so-so. Should have been quick things, but took 1-2 hours each.

Still... has anyone here been to Penn? The service area is tiny. The waiting room is like 10'x15' or so.

13. nyconrad

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 19 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]321840[/snapback]</div>

Usually the first oil change should be about 1K miles to get rid of any metallic wear offs that might get into the oil, but I keep wondering ... since the ICE is off so much of the time, what is the actual mileage on the engine compared to other cars? 3000 miles = 5000 prius miles??? I think I'll post a general question to the forums

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 19 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]321840[/snapback]</div>
    Scott: Just did some looking around in other posts, and there seems to be a split over when to change the oil. There were enough postings by people that saw powdery metallic particles in the oil they changed out early (1k miles) to convince me that 5K might be a bit long for the first oil change. Think I'll be calling for an appt. soon for that first change (and making sure no more than 3.5 quarts go in!)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyconrad @ Sep 19 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]321947[/snapback]</div>

Also, the majority opinion seems to be to wait for a couple of oil changes before switching to synthetic. Let the valves, rings, etc seat properly using regular oil first.

14. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyconrad @ Sep 19 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]321947[/snapback]</div>
    I'm convinced....I'm taking the car in for some accessory work in a couple of weeks...I'm near 1000miles now....so think I'll get my 3.5 quarts at that time....good suggestion.

Now if I could only figure out a way to stop getting hit by the doggone acorns that I swear the squirrels are plunging at me .....mutter, mutter...

Back on topic....I do like Stevens Toyota...also, it didn't hurt that I called customer relations early on giving some kudos to Larry and John for quality "service" .....I especially appreciated it when they sent someone to change my blown out flat..they didn't have to do that!

terri

Spiffy looking avatars!!

15. BobZ

BobZ New Member

Oil capacity is 3.9 quarts NOT 3.5 (page 428 in the owners manual) Change intervals are every 5000 miles even the first time. Also in the book. Dropping the oil after the first thousand miles went away close to 20 years ago as oils got better and engine components, tollerances etc. tightened. Anyone wants to come to Lindenhurst I'll knock it out in ten minutes. ;)

16. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Sep 20 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]322241[/snapback]</div>

I was going by john's user guide....5000 miles or 6 months....so...I won't be changing out oil at 1000, but at 6months. I've had the car for two months and have less than a 1000 miles on it...

Also, 3.9 quarts, if I read his User guide correctly, is maximum capacity...and it seems that there is a consensus here that there is no need to use that much...john suggest "3.5 quarts, less is better."

Easier to add more than to remove later....I'm not sure the won't just fill it to capacity...but I will ask when I go....

terri

17. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Sep 20 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]322245[/snapback]</div>
    Read page 428 in the manual given to you with the car. This is the correct amount. Less oil could contribute to more friction which makes for heat. Definately not a good thing. Has that person work on new cars two decades? I have. Follow your manufacturers reccomendations and you won't be sorry!

As far as Mobil 1 is concerned, waiting is a myth. Many new cars come with Mobil 1 from the start. Valves seating...? The valve seats are in the combustion area. No oil ever gets to the valve seats. It's simply not suppose to. There are parts in your engine called valve guides and valve seals that are there to keep oil reaching the valve seats and combustion area. Not to mention triple cut hardened valve seats used in todays engines are pre seated. If you had oil getting to your valve seats you'd be burning oil and have a bigger problem on hand!

Rings seating....Modern day low friction gapless piston rings don't require a "run in period" as we use to call it. The bottom ring on the piston is called the oil ring. The top two are the compression rings. The oil rings job is to keep oil out of the cylinder. As the piston goes down the oil is swiped back down to the pan where is belongs. If the oil got past the rings again you'd be burning oil.

So there is the synthetic myths exploded. If you wanna use it there is no reason not to.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil...tics/Myths.aspx

Toyota recommends changing your oil filter and motor oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/dealers/pa...oilfilters.html

18. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Thanks so much, Bob!! I appreciate your input!!

I will wait, then, till my 6 months.....

terri