1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying for the max

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Pemi, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Pemi

Pemi New Member

Dear hybrid veterans, greetings from a new 2005 Prius owner in Boston. Winter Boston. I have a light foot. I am not dragging my feet to brake, but the thought has occured to me. I am averaging 50 mpg. What tricks to I need to get to 60?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're getting 50 with winter fuel, in Boston, in winter and are a new driver I'd say you're doing about as good as can be expected.

If you read my thread in the Knowledge Base area it may give you a few more hints (tire pressure, alignment check, some technique stuff), but what you need to hit 60 is summer!!

Why don't I get the EPA mileage?

3. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    5 points to the noob. Congratulations.

Evan speaks the truth! 50 MPG already? Wow!

Is that on the first tank, how many miles on the car, what's the weather like? etc. etc...

Most impressive.

4. cpwaites

cpwaites New Member

My first tank was 47 mpg in the warmer Houston climate of early March, so I am definitely impressed. We have had a bit of a cool snap the last few days here and I can definitely see that the cooler temperatures make a difference by keeping the ICE on.

5. Pemi

Pemi New Member

You folks are wonderful! So encouraging. Now I am feeling good to get 50 out of the box in Boston. Evan, your thread was just the detail I was looking for. The one question I still have is this: With the shifter so close to my right hand, I am inclined to use it liberally and glide in neutral up to a light since the speed is so much better. I am awed by th way this car accelerates in downhill neutral glides. It really says something for the aerodynamics... and perhaps the tires. But am I improving mpg with neutral glides?

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If summer doesn't give you 60 mpg.. then passing the break in period of 15 to 20k miles will. my mpg jumped. i was able to achieve about 60 when i finally put 20k on my car.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well neutral is one way. The other method to get the car to coast is the "no arrow" method. This requires a light foot on the accelerator to get it out of green but not into the yellow arrows.

If the downhill slope is steep enough, you might as well recharge your battery (assuming it's steep enough that you can maintain or even gain speed) rather than coast.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tideland hit the nail on the head. The "no arrow" method is exactly what you describe.

Basically, when you are coasting without your foot on the gas, Prius recharges the battery.
    When you are using the accelerator to gain momentum, Prius fires up the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) to give you the boost (or the battery).
    But if you do it just right, you can press on the accelerator enough to turn off the regenerative coasting but not enough to engage the engine (or battery).

Mind you, it feels really weird. The regen coasting creates a drag on the wheels. When you turn that off, the drag goes away and you feel as though you're accelerating. But just keep an eye on the MFD and you will realize that what you feel is "free coasting" with no arrows displayed.

Good luck and congrats on your excellent start.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pemi\";p=\"73392)</div>
    Neutral works fine, I've used it, but now I prefer to glide as described above (no arrows on the Energy screen with a very light pressure on the gas pedal to achieve it). The main reason is that it's very hard to make the glide end perfectly so that you roll to a stop right at the sign. If you have to use your brakes at all to stop (over 8mph) you get no regeneration if you're in neutral...thus that momentum is wasted as heat instead of being fed back into the battery. If I'm 'gliding' I just lift my foot off the pedal and use the regenerative coasting, or if I do need to use the brake I try to avoid using the friction brakes at all so that most of the momentum goes into the battery...that's just that little bit less gas you have to use later.

From the point you're already at we're talking about finding lots of little 1/10th mpgs in fine tuning technique...and waiting for summer heat, to really get your numbers up. Looks like you've got potential to be a "hyper-miler".

BTW, tell us about your commute/driving pattern and current driving technique.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any of seeing rust spots on the front discs from the lack of use of the brake pads? cause I have them lol

11. tim_in_jax

tim_in_jax New Member

You all are making me very jealous right now because I have finally come to the realization as to how everyone is getting such high MPG. Currently I am averaging about 47 MPG over 420 miles on a tank. My commute is 67 miles one way with 89.9 percent being on the Highway. Most of the time I don't take my prius out on weekends since I purchased it to help with my extended commute. But for the last few days I have been on vacation and I must say that city driving in my '05 is wonderful. So far 63 MPG but only 70 miles on the tank. Again I am jealous of all of the short commuters.....

Tim in Jax

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful what you wish for Tim, My commute is 20 mins to my university and that isn't enough time for me to recoup the lost mileage due to engine warm-up. Only if I make two trips (like I do on Thurs) do I recover some.

13. Prolene

Prolene New Member

First Post!! Hi! I am new here, and very much appreciate this web site, so much so I donated.

Anyway, I am fortunate that my house at the top of a hill allows me to 'coast' for the first 4 miles, then having a couple of stop signs while still on a bit of a downgrade. I am thus able to so far average 55mpg for my first tank by computer reckoning. There are two gas bars showing with something like over 460 miles.

The Prius handles the canyon curves very well with ability to trail brake somewhat and pull out of a turn with excellent power. I usually just take things easy, though, as the aggressive driving tends to send the mpg lower. How the Prius handles/acclerates I think really surprises some who are zooming up or down the hill and come right up to my bumper.