1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying Not to Lust After the Prime

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by goinskiing, May 15, 2018.

1. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So I am now 3 months into my 2018 Two Eco and have been wondering if maybe I should have gotten the Prime Premium now. At this point what's done is done, but wished I had done more research because I hadn't considered the Prim an option when purchasing.

Now, Idaho is a little backwards and the dealers definitely do not push them (hence why I didn't think much about it) and the ones they did have were the most expensive ones around 34k or so, in other words I didn't know the sub $30k ones existed. I didn't know about the Premium. Also, in Idaho, you pay MORE for your registration as a PHEV since you are not "contributing" enough through the gas taxes, I think it's an extra $100 year.

Now, here's the part where I am talking myself out of it (because the financial argument is out at this point due to depreciation etc).
    • My commute is a total of 42 miles which is over the 25 rated of the Prime. Also, my Two Eco has been getting closer to 70 MPG lately which is pretty incredible.
    • 4 seats instead of 5 (I occasionally drive Uber and this would count me out), though I'm somewhat mixed on if the 4 seats was really a deal breaker for me. I have 4 kids but we also have a Honda Odyssey.
    • Trunk space was surprisingly limited on the Prime, (I'm enjoying the larger trunk space of the Prime). Though it's just my commuting car 99.9% of the time anyways.
    • I don't like the back window of the Prime (though that's what I tell myself).
    If I had been presented a $29,000 2018 Prime Premium and known I was eligible for the $4,500 tax incentive I would have likely done it over my current Two Eco. I just lust after the all EV and that cool 11" screen. Sorry, just some rambling thoughts as I find myself always looking for Prime deals even after buying my current Prius. Maybe I should wait until the next gen with longer range after paying this one off. Anyone else in a similar position?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only thing holding me back is the smaller hatch. i don't really need 25 miles of ev, but you're right, it is cool to drive without the engine.
    i do covet the heat pump though!

how many miles on yours now?

RCO and goinskiing like this.
  3. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the warmer months I get about 63 mpg. 53 in the winter. I too sort of wished I had waited for the prime until I started my outside projects. I don't have a truck. I thought I needed one. But I managed to haul lumber, conduit, sprinkler pipe, and yards of bagged soil products to do some significant projects around the house this past year. I'm really glad I have the extra space in the back.

4. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Currently sitting at 6,300 miles. I've taken it to a dealer and I told them to just give me a quote even though I know it's ridiculous and they told me they'd give me $21,000 credit which is a pretty big hit but expected.

I do know this ranks up there through in terms of first world problems though.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if you could make up the loss by buying in the northeast.

ClemsonSteve likes this.
  6. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Would make for a fun drive that's for sure!

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    road trip! or you could ship it. idk how many 17's are left.

8. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'd do the '17 Premium in a heart beat? Links?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'd have to look at the pricing thread sticky. many ny/nj/ri dealers listed there, with advice on how to buy out of state. it's a long one though!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just pulled up watertown (ma) toyota, but they only have advanced and plus in 2017 w/$4,500. off. and the 2018's only get $500.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wellesley toyota has 1 2017 premium at $5,750. off, rebate and discount.

RCO and goinskiing like this.
  12. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh man, that's a heck of a deal, if that were here in Boise right now I'd do it.

13. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think the $4,500 incentive is just the tax credit no?

14. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No it's real money, Toyota factory incentive coming right off the purchase price. $4500 incentive some regions $5000 others. And dealers are taking additional discounts off of that, this is what this Bisco was referring to with $5750. Then next year when you file your taxes for this year assuming you have $4,500 tax liability then you get a $4502 credit. Suggest you go directly to dealer websites, start with Toyota website, enter a New York or New Jersey etc zip code it will list dealers in or near that zip code in order of distance, with a link to the dealers websites. The dealers websites show what cars they have in stock and in most cases the price including Toyota discount and their discount. Then you shoot an email to one or more that you're interested in asking for their best price which in many cases will be lower than what is listed on the website.

If you decide to purchase from an East Coast dealer you can either fly one way and get yourself to the dealer somehow, some will pick you up if they are near the airport, then drive it back. Or you can have it shipped which people have done, probably less than $2,000 for your location, you can price that pretty easily by going to shipping company websites that will give you an estimate.

#14 Since2002, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  15. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You guys were supposed to help me feel better about what I already have.......

Montgomery and RCO like this.
  16. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you have a car that works well for you. With the Prime it sounds like you would lose a little in terms of a bit less cargo space and the middle seat. But you might gain some features that you would like, and you may enjoy driving the Prime more.

The Prime might save you a little money in fuel, although that depends on gas prices and electricity rates both of which can change, but either way I don't see the Prime saving you a whole bundle of money but that's something that you can easily calculate for your estimated driving. I suspect you'll find that it's not an overwhelming cost savings per year. So it would all be about if you would like driving the Prime more than your current car. With the east coast incentives and the tax credit it may not cost you a whole lot to switch. Definitely worth running all the numbers so that you can make an informed decision.

#16 Since2002, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  17. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Off to the calculators!

Since2002 likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Putting my Management hat on (which I don't so much now I'm retired), I'd start with one of these:
    upload_2018-5-16_9-2-29.png upload_2018-5-16_9-3-1.png

A Pro/Con list.
    To do it properly, you'll have to do a projection on co$T$ of PRIUS and co$T$ of PRIME, including
    • fuel use over x years;
    • electricity costs over x years;
    • insurance costs over x years;
    • service costs (if they're different) over x years;
    • expected value after x years; and
    • any $$$$ savings - ie cheaper parking, tolls.
    • etc
    Then when you finish all that - use this tried and proven management tool:
    upload_2018-5-16_9-9-38.png

Priifan, Montgomery, RCO and 2 others like this.
  19. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About the 11" screen: I don't know if you are susceptible to seeing flicker (some people are, others are not), but the 11" screen in my Prime flickers (likely due to PWM) in a way that's super annoying since it's in my peripheral vision (where I'm most likely to notice flickering).

The quad LED headlights are suuuuper nice though. I'm also very partial to the shape of the rear hatch and window since it reminds me of the McLaren P1.

KilgoreTrout and RCO like this.
  20. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a kicker. I purchased my Prime Premium last year with $3125 incentive, and with $4500 tax credit, the final price was $19980. Now the incentive is $4500 in NE, and $5000 in NY/NJ, I have seen even better deal than this.