1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to decide amongst II, II, and V II

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by McLintock!, May 13, 2012.

1. McLintock!

McLintock! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm trying to decide amonst a Prius II, III and V II. For me the most important thing is price. I'm always going to prefer the cheapest one but I'm trying to look past that though.

General Prius versus Prius V
    • I like the look of Prius V better mainly because I love the wheels. It is sort of trivial thing though.
    • I like the interior of Prius V better mainly because I like how the dash looks and it doesn't separate everything like the Prius does. Also sort of trivial.
    • In MD, I wouldn't have to get stupid emissions tests for the Prius but I would have to for the Prius V. It is every 2 years and costs $15 but I really don't like it (I've had issues in the past). Another trivial reason I guess.
    • I think I actually like the exterior of the Prius V better overall. I like hatchbacks even though it looks more like a wagon than a hatchback. I've always thought the regular Prius body shape is a little strange looking.
    • Regular Prius gas mileage is way better.
    It seems like everything I like about the V is sort of a trivial. I really like the gas mileage of the regular Prius better. Are there other things I'm not thinking about or that I have incorrect?

Prius II versus Prius III versus Prius V II

My wife really wants a backup camera which means we'd have to get a Prius III. It seems like when you get the backup camera on a Prius III, then you also have to get navigation and Entune... at least that's what I see online for local dealers. I really don't want those two things. I read that it costs 250 to get map updates from Toyota. I can buy a new Garmin or smartphone for that much. I'll just use my current GPS or my smartphone then. I feel like an integrated GPS just will get out of date both map wise and technology wise and there's little benefit to integrated GPS. You can get just a backup camera on a Prius V II without the GPS and Entune.

Is the backup camera worth the extra money? I think rear visibility in the Prius is pretty bad and the Prius V is slightly better. It is much, much easier to get out of my garage driving forward in the morning due to certain clearances and obstacles. That means I have to back into my driveway and garage at night which might make it worth having the camera.

Dealers seem to have many Prius IIs, less IIIs, and even less V IIs in the area (plenty of V IIIs though). That could make a difference in negotiating power. TrueCar implies that dealers are willing to negotiate more on the Prius V than regular Prius in my area though.

Can anyone point out things I might be overlooking or have wrong? Thanks.

2. McLintock!

McLintock! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Priving information for my area. This is based on Consumer Reports which is powered by TrueCar.

V II
    • cr bottom line: 25,499
    • dealer invoice: 26,030
    • market average: 26,750
    • msrp: 27,310
    • good price: 27,001
    • dealer willingness to negiotiate: medium
    II
    • cr bottom line: 23,346
    • dealer invoice: 23,826
    • market average: 24,408
    • msrp: 24,760
    • good price: 24,581
    • great price: 24,326
    • dealer willingness to negiotiate: low
    III
    • cr bottom line: 24,582
    • dealer invoice: 25,093
    • market average: 25,557
    • msrp: 25,326
    • good price: 25,821
    • great price: 25,593
    • dealer willingness to negiotiate: low
    When comparing the market average for a Prius V II and and a Prius III, I don't really see what the ~1,250 price difference is getting me other than worse gas mileage and slightly more cargo room even though I do like the interior/exterior looks of the V better.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    BTW, Toyota moved away from Roman numerals to describing the model numbers w/model year 2011.

If you don't need the cargo space of the v wagon, I see no reason to get it. Not only does the v get slightly worse gas mileage, it's also slightly slower to accelerate (Consumer Reports - Fuel economy vs. performance). I also don't like the location of the speedometer/instruments in the v. I really hope that in the next gen Prius liftback, Toyota still keeps the instruments in front of the driver and doesn't move them to the center.

If I wanted to sacrifice FE, I'd rather get the '12 HyCam which gets amazingly good combined mileage for a 200 hp vehicle and is much faster (in acceleration) than any Prius family member.

4. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We have a 2009 Prius liftback and a 2012 Prius v5.

Although we have no kids, we much prefer the Prius v. Way more passenger room, way more luggage room, more spacious over all, no "flying buttress" between the front seats to take up space, much better visibility and (to us) more fun to drive and ride in.

It's true that you get a few mpgs less in the Prius v but it doesn't amount to much. Consider: 1,000 miles at 50 mpgs uses 20 gallons of fuel. At 45 mpgs, you consume 22.22 gallons, a negligable amount more IMO. My best tank in the Prius v, BTW, was 49 mpgs.

The advantages of the liftback (to us) are the smaller size fits into tight parking spaces and smaller garages better, smaller turning radius, better fuel economy and well proven reliability.

5. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Backup camera is good for both the Prius v and the Prius in general. Even with the improved visibility on the Prius v, you still have the lower portion, generally where kids and pets tend to 'run' that you won't see. Also for people who have neck issues, you have a hard time looking over your shoulder whereas the camera helps.

To be honest, determine what you are willing to do and really need. If you don't need a lot of space, the standard Prius should be fine. But it sounds like you are like me, where I didn't like the design of the Standard Prius' rear window, and want the v. Unfortunately, you will have to pay a bit more as it is a newer model over the current Prius type. I would also point you over to the Prius c as a possible option. It will give you the Fuel Econ of the Prius, but also the slightly better profile of the Prius v (IE: rear window similar) It is shorter than the Prius and Prius v. It should also have the backup camera.

Also, the Prius is technically a hatchback. The Prius v is a wagon, literally by definition.

6. hp2009

hp2009 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

just want to give few word on price on NEW 2012 v and supply.....

toyota has been keeping tight supply on new 2012 v so most of the dealer selling close to msrp.....but enough supply on regular prius.....

always you can select what best for you.....

remember what ever other people tells you....prius v...in town around 40......(if u get more it's your driving habit)...on freeway...close to 36-38....

with regular prius in town easily can get 50 in town.......on freeway....48....so do your research via email on price and mpg...

thanks
    hp

7. McLintock!

McLintock! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ended up getting a Prius 3. There's tons of 2s and 3s in stock in my area but my wife really liked the feature set of the 3 better and it is mainly for her use anyway. Maybe if the V gets better mileage in the future and better handling then I'd consider it next time.

Kyle Cornette likes this.
  8. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think you made the best choice! Imho