1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to decide between 2017 and 2018 Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Richard Neal Irwin, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Richard Neal Irwin

Richard Neal Irwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looking at my first Prime. Found a 2017 with super low miles and good price but wondering if better off with 2018 with newer batteries and everything else. Which matters more, year manufactured or miles driven?

Welcome any advice.

Thanks

Rich

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Doubt much difference between a three and four year old car everything else being equal.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what rebates are offered in your region, but have you priced new PRIME? In our area, a brand new 2021 PP LE can be had ~$18k after full tax credit.

If buying used, 2018 may still have a warranty left if it is less than 3yrs/36k. Otherwise, I don't see too many differences in those two model years. In general, for the traction battery, the age is more important than the miles, but for the engine and any other moving parts, miles are more of the factor than age.

pghyndman and DC_2004_Prius like this.
  4. Richard Neal Irwin

Richard Neal Irwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you. In NC I think the incentive is the gas hoggier the better. At least where I live.