1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to decide....Shark fin or regular factory antenna?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gracetaylor, May 19, 2006.

1. gracetaylor

gracetaylor New Member

I haven't gotten my package 5 with leather yet, but I'm trying to decide whether to go for the shark fin antenna or just leave the factory one in when I get the car.

Also, has anyone gotten the emergency road side kit? Is there one available on PC that I can't find. the only one I've seen in on Toyota website and I can't see a price for it. Are either of these extras a good investment? Thanks for the advice! B)

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, i love the sharkfin antenna, and think it's great. Some have reported that they've lost some reception with it, but i haven't experienced that at all.

As for a roadside kit, I would highly recommend something of the sort, even if it's not from toyota. I've assembled my own over the years, with an air compressor, flasher lights, emergency first aid kit, and water to name a few of the essentials.

Also, cute dog in your profile pic!

3. notsure

notsure New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 19 2006, 06:14 AM) [snapback]257982[/snapback]</div>
    I was given the toyota roadside kit as a gift (from the dealer), it is nicely put together. I also bought a dc air compressor from harbor freight $24.99 whcih puts air in the tires nicely.

4. gracetaylor

gracetaylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 19 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]257982[/snapback]</div>
    Oh. Mi. God. How cute are your babies!?!?!?!?!?! :D
    Mine is named Molly and she is a nutbar, such a cutie. My sister-in-law bought Molly's sister the same day I got Molly and so here's a photo of the two sisters together.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(notsure @ May 19 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]257984[/snapback]</div>
    Nice gift. I wonder if I can get my dealer to throw one in. Will try. Thanks for the advice. B)

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    the Tri is mine - Dillon - and the Blenheim is one of my mom's - Bailey - who was visiting one weekend with her sister - Madigan. The two girls are a little over 3 years old, and Dillon just celebrated his first birthday a few months ago

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, here's the deal...I think the shark fin antenna is WAY cool--especially since my son and I spotted how cool looking the black car was/is, and I decided to go with the black instead of white. AND, before I ever came home with the car and/or found PRIUSCHAT, we have been trying to figure out how to reprogram the horn to play the Bruce the Shark music from JAWS, since it is SO easy to sneak up on people w/ how quiet Bruce is :eek: ....deep breath... Ok, yes, I am somewhat reluctant to go for appearance over functionality--yeah, I hate how bleedin' ugly the HOV stickers are, but, as Rob't Heinlein (more than once) said, TAANSTAFL...BREATHE dammit!--ok--stickers = ugly/ stickers= time saving procedure. Shark fin antenna = cool look, less reception (which IS a problem in my part of Sonoma County--we have Mount Tamalpais between us and the SF broadcast antennae, so reception is dodgy enough to start with. Now, while I can cope with the stickers, while still being far from happy about their APPEARANCE--HOW MUCH WORSE would my radio reception be w/ the different antenna (no satellite/bluetooth/whatever).

Ta ever so mes amis!

(BTW, while I am not MOSTLY quite this gushy--I am still on a "NEW PRIUS" high!)

(AND--now having w/ hubby what seems likely to become a familiar, um, DISCUSSION--we may or may not be driving (approx 50 miles) to Berkeley tomorrow. HE wants to drive us in his (new to him) 2002 BMW. Of course, I want to drive us in my (entirely) new Prius...hmmm...how to resolve this??? Suggestions???

7. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Shark fin definitely shark fin.

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ May 27 2006, 01:56 AM) [snapback]261714[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, but you are in LA--MUCH better radio reception than here in the depths of the middle of Sonoma Valley. I really would like to know if there is much difference with the shark fin. If there is almost ANY degeneration of reception, I won't be able to listen to Car Talk in the car--I already can't listen to it at home, so have to go drive around to hear it, unless of course I listen to it on the computer, which somehow just doesn't have the right ambiance :lol:, now does it?

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: Shark fin antenna installed! DEFINITE hit on quality of reception. BUT who cares since it looks SO cool????? B)

10. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 23 2006, 08:26 AM) [snapback]290895[/snapback]</div>
    What's installation like? Is it easily reversible (I'm thinking for when I go on out-of-state drives and can barely get reception as is).

11. aparks1569

aparks1569 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 23 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]291106[/snapback]</div>
    I'd go for Shark Fin for great looks; the OEM antenna for great reception. P.S. I have shark fin.

12. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 23 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]291106[/snapback]</div>
    According to DH, who did install--not as easy to take off as to put on...Rip yerself some cds, or bring yer IPOD...Shark fin looks way too cool to worry about a silly little issue like reception.... B)

13. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My OEM antenna was removed by the carwash guys and has been sitting in my back seat for a couple of months now without significant hit to my reception, but I do live in the city and don't travel out much. When I'm leaving the Portland area, I usually have my iPod or CD's going anyway. I got my sharkfin (for looks) a few weeks ago and once the temperature around here drops below 90-100 for a day or so, I'll be installing it. As stated above, it probably depends on where you live and the strength of the stations you listen to.

14. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aparks1569 @ Jul 23 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]291112[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, then that's it. I listen to radio (NPR) far more than I do CDs or my iPod.

15. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dutch in dallas @ May 19 2006, 06:07 AM) [snapback]257944[/snapback]</div>
    I got the shark fin one mine and yes there is a little loss in reception but it looks so cool

16. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 23 2006, 05:26 AM) [snapback]290895[/snapback]</div>
    Call me a nerd (I was called an nice person on an adjoining forum the other day) but fashion over function seems like a giant step backwards to me. I think the standard antenna does one fine job of receiving.

An antenna, to work properly, must be a certain percentage of the received wavelength long. AM radio waves are on the order of a thousand meters long. That's why shortwave listeners (who aren't really bringing in "short" waves: microwaves are short,) have to use very long antennae to hear anything. Little tiny pieces of metal stuck in the air just aren't going to hack it.

But, if you're happy receiving just the strongest stations in your area, the shark fin is a good filter.

17. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 23 2006, 08:52 PM) [snapback]291210[/snapback]</div>
    The wave length of radio waves in the AM band vary from 3e8/550e3=545m to 3e8/1600e3=188m. I give it to you for small values of "thousand". The car antenna is so small relative to AM wavelengths, it almost doesn't matter. Topography, weather, ground planes, loading have more of an effect. The wavelength of an FM band wave is around 3 m. An optimal 1/4 wavelength whip would be 30 in. I put on the shark fin and noticed that the most marginal FM stations in the most marginal locations were more marginal.