1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to find reputable/not arm and leg costing installer for HomeLink Mirror

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by rufaro, Jul 3, 2006.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know of anyone other than a dealer who can install a homelink/dimmer mirror that was taken out of one car and wants(!) to be installed in an '06 without one? I only say other than a dealer since I am hoping to find someone between the "27 cents" types who I wouldn't trust to walk my dog, and the coupla hundred-ish dealers charge. I live in Sonoma County, but don't mind a bit of travel for this. I got the car in May, and am in the middle of my first roadtrip with it, and the ghosting on the regular mirror--whether flipped up or down--is driving me nuts...

Thanks!

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Sorry I forgot to reply to this previously (in e-mail) :)

No, I don't know of anyone besides dealers, to de-float yer boat right off. But I'd suggest PM-ing galaxee, so she can consult with DH re" exactly how hard it is.

I do know that it's almost a standard "trick" in the region that includes TX and LA (& possibly other states) for the dealers to add the Homelink mirror to all their #3 packages and charge an extra $200 (I think), so that the Homelink is in most cases mandatory. So I doubt it's that big of a deal---probably all pre-wired inside there, like the "alarm system" that needs only to be activated by the dealer.

We do seem to have several electrically-unchallenged folk in the Bay Area, one of whom may step forward and offer to try/do it. I'm tempted to advise, "buy the mirror", but before you do, I'd at least call a Toyota service department and ask if it's a connection that can easily be made (i.e., pre-wired), as I suspect.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

dyi instructions were posted here on PC a while back you might want to try a search on it, but it might have been pre-crash. worth a try.
    Edit: you might want to try one first before commiting to the install. Lots of people don't like the auto dimming mirror. I'm one, as I find it's very slow to react and doesn't really get dark enough.

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jul 3 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]280809[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Frank--but diy is ABSOLUTELY not an option for me--I couldn't follow the directions to disable the backup beep and had to have my husband do it. I will take ghostofjk's advice and pm Galaxee to find out what DH has to say. I am not concerned with it not getting dark enough--I never flip my mirror up at night anyway. It is because of the ghosting in the original mirror that I want it gone, and I am hoping that, since the mirror is designed to dim instead of flip, the ghosting will not be an issue. I really cannot stand seeing 6 headrests in the back seat...and no, I do not drink... :rolleyes:

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    shouldn't be a horrible job, but a dealer could definitely charge a couple hours (at their standard labor rate, which isn't usually cheap)

one thing to try is, next time you're getting your car serviced at the dealer, ask your tech if he wants a "side job" doing the mirror work. understand this is kinda on the "down low" and he may say no, but you asking can't hurt, and your $50 straight up is probably more than what the guy would get from that job at work.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

7. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my last car (Nissan Pathfinder) I bought a homelink mirror online (Google auto-dimming rearview mirror). They cost about $150. My local auto sound dealer installed it for less than $100. It's pretty easy to install, but like you, I didn't want to tear out decor.