1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to understand the order process

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lwillis, Oct 18, 2005.

1. lwillis

lwillis New Member

I'm new to this forum and have already learned much in reading your various topics. I have a Prius on order and can't wait for it to arrive. Which now leads to my frustration.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

I ordered my prius the end of August. They simply wanted to know the color and option package which to me, greatly simplified the process. The local dealer told me they get about a car per week and I was number 4 on the list. So I was expecting to have the car by the first week in October.

I've been checking each week and the cars have been coming in slowly. I finally find out yesterday that they got their next allocation of 1, and it is for me. Only to find out that it is the wrong color and option package. When I asked about this, they now tell me that Toyota "tries" to match the allocations to what is requested by dealers as the car are brought into port. Said they used to de a better job but lately they have just been sending whatever they get.

Have any of you experienced this. Is this Toyota's way to finish out the 2005's before the 2006's start production. They tell me that if I pass on the car, I stay at the top of the list and can wait until my color/options is allocated. Based on that I don't WHEN I will get a Prius.

At this point I 'm willing to fly to another dealership that can deliver me what I want and I'll drive it home.

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Yes, that's the way it goes, and even moreso now, at the end of the model year.

Some dealers will call only those who specified a particular color and package. Others will call everyone on their list, knowing that someone may "weaken" and accept something different; or the listee may have indicated flexibility in his/her choice.

At the beginning to the middle of a model year, the dealer may make more of an effort to obtain the car you "ordered", but most just take what they're shipped in this seller's market.

I just posted, on another thread, a seaside #3 which I turned down half an hour ago, as I decided in the meantime to wait for an '06. It's in N CA and MAY be available. PM me if you're interested.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If possible, there's nothing to stop you from going to other dealers in your area and finding out what they can do.

4. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same thing at my dealership, although they do about 20 cars per month. Your place on the list gets you first shot on new cars, and you can pass every time until you get what you want.

Big dealer (+) more cars, but (-) longer list.
    Small Dealer (-) less cars, but (+) shorter list.

Toyota's "allocation" system did come as a HUGE surprise. They send the # and type of cars based on previous sales and regional "popular combinations". I was blown away. Many have accepted more or less than they wanted, including color changes.

The one thing I've noticed, however, that I'd never have considered untill now:

Try Dealerships within a days drive (and I'm talking 8 hours here). Now that you know all the right questions to ask, ask to speak to the fleet manager, tell them right up front you know what you're talking about, and ask them what their typical allocation is like and what they're list is.. you might get lucky with them...

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like this line: regional "popular combinations"
    Popular because that is all you can order! Of all the packages made, only 3 or 4 are offered in a region, thus they are the "most popular". Same with colors. If half the Prii Toyota builds are silver, by definition that is THE most popular color. I don't know about 2005, but in 2004 they primarily made AM and BC packages - higher cost, more profit. So they are the most popular packages. Fortunately for me, I wanted ONLY one or the other. :)

6. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree, but with my 8 hour drive theory, you might be able to expand your search to another region with different allocations, ie N. Cal vs S. Cal...

At least they typically offer the base model, the fully loaded model, and 2 in between... (instead of only offering 5,6,7,8... and none lower)

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can go to http://www.toyota.com/toyotaConfigApp/index.jsp and enter your zip code (or the place you want to buy from) and you can see what should be available. In So Cal, for example, it's #1, #3 and #6.

As for myself, I got on one list at one dealer, put a deposit down on another dealer in another state (got the deposit back) and ended up buying mine at a dealer 125 miles away because they had the one I wanted in stock.

8. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, here is how it really works.

The allocation system is used to get cars on dealer lots, to prevent a dealer's stock of cars from getting low and to provide lots of package and color variety for the lot for customers to see and even choose from if they so desire. However, it isn't meant to be used to fill specific customer requests.

First off, your dealer can always do a lot exchange with another dealer who has your vehicle. Your dealer can also go out and trade his inbound allocation with another dealer who has exactly what you want. That can happen while the vehicle is in transit on the ocean or when the vehicle is in port before being put on a carrier to the dealership.

All of this might mean them making a call to regional or calling other dealers or doing a search to see what is allocated but not yet delievered and then swaping with another dealer.

Your dealer isn't bound to accept what is on his allocation, he can work for you to find you the vehicle you want and have that allocated to the dealership. However you are under no obligation to take what the dealer just accepts from the allocation system.

You need to talk with other dealers and see what they can do. Some are very accomidating and will do in-transit trades with other dealers or lot searches and swaps. Traveling 8 hours to find a vehicle isn't unheard of. Especially if you get exactly what you want. Although I would start canvasing dealers and find out how they will acquire you a vehicle.